Securing bikes in enclosed trailer...

tsherv

May 6, 2008
I just bought a used 5x8 Cargo Mate enclosed trailer, and am in the process of setting it up...So many options!

Right now the trailer has no D-Rings or tiedowns anywhere. Talking to a friend that has had an enclosed trailer, he told me to install D-Rings on the side walls of the trailer instead of the floor. He said that way there is no downward pressure on your forks. Made sense to me...but that brought up some questions. What type of fastener do you use for D-Rings if you put them on the walls? Do you just use a good size sheet metal screw through the plywood and into the metal wall support? Will this hold? I'm hauling 2 bikes (RM125 and KX250). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm planning on buying the cheap $20 steel tube wheel chocks.

Also, looking at putting in shelving / baskets, etc. Anyone have any really handy ideas?

Thanks!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I recessed D-rings into the floor and secure the bikes on a stand with turnbuckles to the footpegs. No loading of the suspension and no wheel chocks needed.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I use BikeBoots in my enclosed trailer and just toss on a couple of tie downs before I go down the road. All of my stuff mounts to the floor and is either quick release or recessed. I am also quite impressed with BedBolts as a removable tie down point incase I need the flat floor of the trailer for some other purpose.

tsherv

May 6, 2008
Chili, I'm curious about your setup...Do you use a traditional dirt bike stand? Would this work with a lift stand? As for the turn-buckle, is there anything special you have, or just something from the hardware store? What do you use to attach to the foot pegs?

Thanks,

Troy

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I use a stand along the lines of these http://www.discountramps.com/mx-bike-stand.htm never tried it with a lift stand and would be reluctant to as most are pretty flimsy.

For the turnbuckle I use something like this
turnbuckle2.jpg

The hook end goes to the D-ring and then I replace the other end with a piece of threaded rod that I bend into a j shape that hooks over the footpeg. I'd offer to take a photo but my trailer is still snowed in at the storage yard.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I used bike shoes that clamp the front wheel. No need to even use tie downs. I mounted the D-rings to the wall using self tapping screws, but made sure they went into structural supports.

8x16.jpg

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Gomer owns a shop! Nice side load job for sure. way too many loading front to back. Big waste of space, but a lot easier to load/unload? Trailer parts companies have drop anchors and drop shoes, when not in use it is covered by a metal plate. If you are a front to back loader, you can put the tool chest/cabinets on the tongue. Side load needs a differant set up, like Gomer's. Props for the no yellow turds!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i use the same set-up as chili except i have hooks on both ends. i put the hook directly into the foot peg.

Top Bottom