DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Yesterday my front tire hit a rut and went left, the rest of the bike and me went right. I landed on my R shoulder and heard a sharp snap. Turns out I have an acromio-clavicular sprain or tear. Doc says 6-8 weeks with a sling. I'd rather have surgery and screws to ensure proper positioning for healing.
This really bites. The weather has been warming up, less muck, better traction and the bike is pulling up inadvertantly in 3rd. Everything was going sooo good.
Anyone out there ever have this before? Does 6-8wks sound right?
How long 'till you got real use out of it?
I gotta say, I'm a little bummed out right now.
Thanks in advance for any help, DVO.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Hi, I'm zilla and I mess up my shoulders. I've dislocated both, and seperated the right.. 6-8 weeks is about right, but you're gonna need some therapy also.. Don't get in a hurry , it'll take soome time to heal.. Surgery won't help, and you're gonna have a lump on that shoulder to remember it by.. Don't forgert that therapy! BTW make sure you go see an orthopedic type doc..

zilla....

Jan 11, 2001
acromioclavicular joint

Good news and bad news:

The bad news is that you will have a lovely bump on your shoulder for the rest of your life. The good news is that you don't need surgey.

I have a 3rd degree separation and have recovered to nearly 100% without any surgery. Eight weeks and you'll be riding, but with some pain. Just give it time and it will get better, but don't baby it.

Good Luck

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Hey, thanks for the support. Physically I'm feeling great, doing the physio thing and all. Doc said 6-8 weeks in a sling! I took it off in one, couldn't stand it anymore. Physiotherapist said cool, keep up the good work! I'm far from better, but much further ahead than I expected.
Thanks again, DVO

MotoMojo

Dec 5, 2000
Physiotherapist said cool? After one week?
What did the doctor say!

Please tell me you are seeing an orthopedic surgeon.
Be careful, or you could lose some range of motion -- and affect your riding for a lot longer than 6-8 weeks.

An orthopedic surgeon who I'm good friends with gets angry with the physical therapy department all time for being too agressive and causing problems down the line. They have trouble resisting some patients' natural enthusiasm to get better quickly.

Sounds like you have great enthusiasm, but take it easy (easier said than done sitting on the sidelines with great weather). Good luck. :)

Jan 11, 2001
{Be careful, or you could lose some range of motion } don't worry about losing any range of motion. the more you move your arm around the better off you will be in the long run. the joint is gone for good and all that will remain is scar tissue. the sooner you break down the scar tissue the better.
good luck

Top Bottom