cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
I was setting my sag for the first time and have found what I have realized for a LONG time. I am overweight!!! I have the stock spring loaded as far as possible and the sag is still about 5.5 inches - from 25 to 19.5 inches. I weight about 230. Should I invest in a stiffer aftermarket spring? How important is the correct sag?

------------------
1999 KTM 250 E/XC

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
It's very important. If you're too low into the stroke on your suspension, you'll get harshness and easier bottoming. The suspension is made to work best at the correct sag. At 230, you need much stronger springs. I'd guess maybe even a PDS4 in the back but at least a PDS3. Same with your forks. I have two step heavier WP forks springs for your forks. I'm selling my 99 250E so I don't need them. I think they're .44's but I'm not positive off the top of my head. Let me know if you're interested.

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB
01 KTM 400 EXC, 99 KTM 250 EXC, 99 KTM 200 EXC, 98 KTM 125 EXC, 98 KTM 380 MXC (gone), 96 KDX 200

[This message has been edited by jeb (edited 04-17-2001).]

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
so john, you decided to stick with the rfs, eh? i think i'll keep both for awhile, like you did.

------------------
KTM200,250

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
Jeb-

I will be interested in stiffer springs once I recover from Uncle Sam. Thanks for the input.

------------------
1999 KTM 250 E/XC

Deznut

Sep 5, 2000
At 230 lbs you will definitely benefit from new springs. In order to get even close to the right amount of sag, you will have to use way too much preload which results in you using more of the stiffer part of the spring. (It's progressive) I know it sounds funny, but putting on a stiffer spring will actually give you a softer ride when the sag is adjusted right. I am 215 lbs and I went with a "straight rate spring" instead of the progressive. I have read many differing opinions on whether the progressive springs are better or not. the straight rate springs are significantly less expensive and mine is working good for me. I think the rear was a 8.3 and the fork springs we .43's.

------------------

Murf

Dec 31, 2000
cphillips,
I go about 230 also, and have a Y2K 300exc. I just ordered springs from MXTech last week. I hope that I will get them on this weekend, and will let you know. Jeremy suggested an 8.0 straight rate on the rear, and .46s in front.

------------------
Murf
Y2K 300EXC

inthedirtPaul

Feb 22, 2000
cphillips,

For the last 4 + years I have been engineering custom springs for a bunch of riders (including myself)in order to get the right spring rate (for the rider's weight)and maximize the number of coils (to get the most supple ride on the small stuff, while still handling the big hits). Like some of the other posts have said, it is very important to end up with the factory spec. for both dynamic sag and static sag. I have found that if the rear spring is right, then the shock works better. When the rear end works better than the forks work better also. Incidently, there is no cost for my time and effort - only for manufacturing and powder coating (in the $70 range).

E-mail me directly, if you want to persue this further.

Cheers - Paul
'00 380 exc

------------------

Murf

Dec 31, 2000
Well, I got to ride today with my new springs as I intended. They made a big difference. I still have a lot of adjustments to make but there are some very noticeable differences all ready. The bike turns much better, jumps are different. I was having to compensate for the soft springs before when jumping. The bike is much more confidence inspiring now. I would definitely recommend new springs.

------------------
Murf
Y2K 300EXC

Steve F.

Mar 2, 2000
Murf 8.0 is what came stock on my 98 300EXC,are you sure that is what you got or maybe its a 8.8 just checking.

Im at 250+ without gear & just put a 9.6 in the rear & .48 in the front & was able to set static at 25mm & race sag at 100mm so I think I better lose some weight.I only have one ride since re-spring & need to go ride in some rocks to really see how much better it is.

I know my 98 has different valving in the rear & different forks than the 2000's on,but thought I would post for info & comparison to others.

Steve F.98 300EXC (on a diet)

------------------

Murf

Dec 31, 2000
I am sure it was an 8.0, per MX Tech's recommendation. I thought that was a little on the soft side, but he said he prefers to go a little soft on the PDS springing. I didn't question him as he is the expert. I quickly set the sag, and do not remember what I set it at. I think static was roughly 1.5 inches, and race about 4 inches. I will check it when I get home at the end of the week.

------------------
Murf
Y2K 300EXC

Top Bottom