shim stack front suspension

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
adam04god said:
ive got usd suspension on my pit bike, its a Evo 150cc.i needed to put sum suspension fluid in, so i did that but my suspension as gone really hard.
it bearly goes down
How did you determine you "needed to put sum suspension fluid in"?? Did you fill the forks up all the way???!!!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I just did this last night and rate it as a 2 beer job (very easy)
I enjoyed it so much I had a third beer just to think about if I had done something wrong. :) trying to stay away from the bone head thread :laugh:

I have not tested this setup but I am going to Prentice copper State park on sunday and there are plenty of rocks there.

One thing to add to the excellent thread: there are 11 shims the very last one on the bottom has a bigger inside diameter. I took the first 2 from the top.

with one completed fork in the left hand and the other one in the right hand that had not been modified I could tell the difference in a quick jab the modded one compressed faster.

I hope this works out it!! itwill be alot easier to ride, the front end usually beats the piss out of me

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Holy Crap

Wow..and I waited almost year to do this... just think of all the rides .highland park, durhamtown Hatfield mccoys pretice copper..that I would have not gotten the sh1t shook out of me!!! this is a MUST DO MOD beg, borrow or steal just do it

Was like riding on pillows, hell I didn't even mess around with the clickers they were still at 17 out from before the mod.

Prentice Copper has some serious rocks big rocks small rocks jagged solid stone steps and drops and small walls ..I never thought I could handle that stuff before it would beat me to death to the piont my heart felt like it was going to tear off.

I rode 5 hrs today and was well hydrated and not hungover

Not getting blasted the night before is something new I'm trying as well .....seems to be a great mod too :cool:

bottom line I really enjoyed myself today and the only sore spot is my tailbone

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I've been following this thread with some interest. Would the shim stack in a '92 be the same as you guys with later model bikes? Asking here is easier than tearing it apart to find out. Dave

KDXKLXKLR

Oct 11, 2009
OK. I pulled out the Cartridge and counted, (repeatedly), 7 shims. I'm the second owner. I was told the suspention was set up for his weight and type of riding (same as mine) 200 pounds, fast desert. Does this sound right to anyone...

2003 KDX 220

KDXKLXKLR

Oct 11, 2009
It may have been as the nut was easy to remove without filing. I'm not sure what it looks like stock. I just put it all back together. How would removing 3 Shims affect the Damping? 'Wish I took a Photo. It looked something like this...

Attachments

• FORK NUT.jpg
    FORK NUT.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 355

kdx79

Nov 1, 2013
hi everyone.. im new here and live in Australia, I know this is an old thread but I just did this mod on my 93 kdx 200 with USD forks & .42 racetech spings and took it for a ride today and WOW what a huge difference it made.. before i did the mod the bike would beat the crap out of me every time I went riding, but now its a lot smoother and it handle's the bumps so much better.. this is best mod ever and cheap :) I recommend it to everyone.. thanks for a great tip.. happy days.

EYY

May 22, 2010
kdx79 said:
hi everyone.. im new here and live in Australia, I know this is an old thread but I just did this mod on my 93 kdx 200 with USD forks & .42 racetech spings and took it for a ride today and WOW what a huge difference it made.. before i did the mod the bike would beat the crap out of me every time I went riding, but now its a lot smoother and it handle's the bumps so much better.. this is best mod ever and cheap :) I recommend it to everyone.. thanks for a great tip.. happy days.
Done the pipe mod yet mate? Makes a world of difference if you've been riding it stock. My solution to the handling problems was to get a newer bike though haha.

I must agree though, great info on this forum. Sad to see the Kdx section die a slow death over the past couple of years since the bikes discontinuation.

kdx79

Nov 1, 2013
EYY said:
Done the pipe mod yet mate? Makes a world of difference if you've been riding it stock. My solution to the handling problems was to get a newer bike though haha.

I must agree though, great info on this forum. Sad to see the Kdx section die a slow death over the past couple of years since the bikes discontinuation.

haha yeah a new bike would be great, but I wouldn't part with my old kdx for anything its such a great bike and ultra reliable. now that iv got the front end sorted properly it handles great, I can keep up with bigger and newer bike in the tight trail which is what we mainly ride on the most, I haven't done the pipe mod as yet (one day maybe) im getting to old to go to quick lol.. yes it is a shame that not to many talk about these old bikes much anymore but I suppose that's what happens with progress, I have got so much info from this forum which has been a great help to us as we have 4 of these bikes and love them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom