Sliencer Packing Material! Performax

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I know a LOT of people who got free samples at Dirtweek, so has anyone tried it yet? Opinions? I am getting ready to repack the 200 but it probably wont get ridden for awhile. I'll post back here once its been out and about.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Good, better packing material is always good! :) Also I was wondering if anybody has tried the stuff that is supposed to make your exhaust smell?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I just repacked my silencer with it. One bag is more than enough for two silencers. I only have one ride on it, and have no complaints. Bike runs good, sounds good and was easy to cut and install.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I was gonna wait until I saw the condition of the Performax packing after 2 months of riding. But, I can do the preliminaries I guess.
There is more than enough for two packings(for me anyway)in the Performax package. Bike ran fine, didn't really notice any difference in the tone or volume. I used half of the Performax packing material in mid-October. I generally ride 1-2 times a week, so I probably have a dozen or more rides on the packing that is in there now.
Just for Yucks, I'll change it again tomorrow night and report back on how it has held up.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Paking:  Better than the plain old insulation like stuff you buy at the shops. Easy installation, easier to work with, and enough for two packings. Does a nice job and holds up much better than the cheap stuff.

Fuel additive:  I got a bottle of the grape, mixed up four gallons of gas, and had several people sniffing the air and looking around all confused at Bluff Creek. Next ride, at Fort Dodge, I forgot to add some of the grape stuff, but the guys I was riding with said they could still smell the grapes! Cool stuff. Also, just having that stuff sitting on a shelf in my garage leaves the whole place smelling good.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Ive been using Performax for a quite a while now (before DW). I rode for like 3 months before I repacked it. the only reason i did repack it was because i wanted to see how it was holding up. in a two stroke, if its not spooging like crazy the stuff would last for a long time!

The main thing I like is the sound, it gives my bike a little bit crisper sound. oh, and I was there when they were comparing packings on the dyno, PerforMax really does outperform Silent Sport.

as for the smelly stuff, the grape is awesome! I think it probably works the best. Right now I have the chocolate, and i dont think it works real well, but im gonna try and ride tomorow and see. After that I will try cherry. There are a few fragrances that are supposed to work best with gasoline but i cant remember them right now. The stuff was originally designed for cars running alcohol cause of the nasty smell.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I promised that I would change my performax packing and report back.
Here you go:

I said earlier that I had installed the Performax packing material in mid October. I was incorrect, it was the first week of November. I used about half of the product supplied in the package, maybe a little bit less than half. Since then, I have ridden about 15 times. Some trails, some gravel pits.

The results:
When I got the silencer apart I found the packing in incredibly good shape for the length of time it had been in there. I could still see the poka-dot pattern in the packing material. It was blackened, but only one 2 inch long spot seemed to have lost any thickness at all; and that was minimal.

I was tempted to just cut off the blackened section and re-wrap the silencer with the used packing. I decided that Performax was inexpensive enough (two packings in one package). So I used the unused half I still had :confused: .
I've found a new packing material for my silencers.

Performax. :aj:

I think I'll get some of the grape aroma stuff too when I place my order for new Performax Silencer Packing.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Where do you get it and how much does it cost?? I usually have to repack fairly frequently because I crash in creeks quite a lot, and I'm trying some different products to see if I can make my bike as quiet as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

B

biglou

I just repacked Thunder33's T4 with Performax the other day. We are waiting for valve shims for valve adjust on the Hurricane (got a voicemail this morning that they are in now). So once we get it buttoned up, and if the weather holds, I will have a ride report.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I will be re-packing the silencer on the KTM200 in the next couple of weeks, I'll report back on the sound once I am done - and try to remember to post back again about 3 months down the road. Hey Lou - remind me would ya :)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
All the NETRA Enduros will enforce mandatory sound tests this year, with a 96db limit. I figured the recent Snow Run would be a good time to give the Performax stuff a try out. My last repack was in October and I used Moose packing., which took two packages (at about $7 per each) to provide enough material for the FMF Q core silencer / SA on my ’03 KTM 250 EXC.

The Moose packing was approximately 1 inch thick and I needed a piece 12in x 19.5in. The Performax material has a denser feel to it and it required some experimentation to decide how much was enough. I ended up using a piece 12in x 14in which was around two thirds of what comes in the package. A couple of comments. The instructions say to put the “dimpled” side against the perforated tube of the silencer. Maybe it’s me, but which side had the dimples and which side did not was not obvious to me so I took my best guess. Also, after handling the Performax material I noticed a lot of little easily breathed-in fibers floating around like dust motes, so I added the precaution of wearing a little paper dust mask while I was working with it.

How did it work? Pretty well. My bike was very quiet with it. The last sound check I had to do (Moose packing with 3 rides on it) was 95 dB. This time it was 88 dB. Ok, I know that’s totally unscientific and that there are all manner of things that could explain the difference: different meters, testers, procedure, ambient conditions, etc. Still, my seat of pants impression was that the bike was a bit quieter with this packing and I’ve ordered a couple more packages to keep on hand.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
the dimples arent that critical, the packaging and shipping process kind of makes them "close up" as they are actually holes, not dimples. oh, and dont worry about those fibers, i used to work in an insulation supply place that dealt with the same stuff, we never wore masks, too much of a pain.

Top Bottom