joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
After a great group ride at Aonia in mid- December we began discussing Southern Spodefest. Ivan suggested Aonia again, and that seemed to be the consensus. Best groomed MX track in these parts, fun and challenging SX track, loads of new trails, plus rumor has it there will be a freestyle ramp for Gomer to strut his stuff. :D

Not to mention free camping, cheap electric hookup, and lots of burgers on the grill at the Gomerhome. :) Plus I think it is time to institute DW style competions...

Thinking of earlier this year, when it is a tad bit cooler. April 2-3 seems to be a good date. Still gives Wrench time to get his YZ together, Whyzee time to find a bike, JBoomer time to find heavy duty tubes he will not pinch flat, and Lemming time to get another 50 to whoop up on Ivan in the woods with. ;)Thoughts?

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
How to attend?

What do folks have to do to attend such an event? Are these things family friendly, or are small riders likely to be left in the dust? I'd like to bring myself, my wife and 12yr old daughter. :moon:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
All you have to do is show up and preferably let us know that you are "ChopperDave" so we don't think you are just another local. I can't remember what kind of tracks were there for smaller riders, but the trails appeared to be very friendly, open, good visibility, and your crew could probably ride out there at their own pace no problem. I think Gomer's clan has several smaller riders that ride at Aonia all the time.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
if nothing breaks (me, bike, truck, trailer...) i plan to attend -- if nothing else, to meet some of you crazies :coocoo: in person.

chopperdave - what part of "middle tn" will you come from? i will head out of knoxville down 75 - perhaps we can convoy down. its about 7-hours from knoxville, so i will likely try to make atlanta friday night (4-hours) and then finish sat morning (3-hours). the drive back sunday night will be the killer :bang: will have to take an ipv (in plant vacation) on monday to recover! :yeehaw:

(ever ride windrock outside oak ridge?).

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i'm a damn yankee - moved here about 9-years ago and don't plan to move back north! :cool: now if we can only accelerate the global warming thing - we have snow blowing around today - but mid-40's tomorrow and mid-50's on sat - i can hear my crf talking to me! :yeehaw:

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I will be coming from Clarksville. I've been to windrock, some of those trails are wicked! I had a hard time fining my way around, but the scenery is second to none. We should get together and rid there. Do you get any days off during the week?

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
ChopperDave said:
I will be coming from Clarksville. I've been to windrock, some of those trails are wicked! I had a hard time fining my way around, but the scenery is second to none. We should get together and rid there. Do you get any days off during the week?

clarksville - that makes you local to lbl?

i tend to avoid the difficult trails - one of the guys i work with claims the back side is better - although is single track with an occasional tree across (i have not been back there in 2-years)

i can usually take a day off (occasionally...) wed afternoon is a good ride as kids are out of school by 1:30 and we can make it to the dirt by 2:30 including a late lunch on the way - gives a nice evening ride in spring/fall, daylight is too short right now -- just don't get caught up there at night w/o headlights (did once - ouch!)

i avoid windrock on weekends - too many crazies out there. also have to be very careful on week days from about 4pm -6pm (esp 5pm) on main service roads as those working up there (lumber, mines, etc) get off work and rip down the roads on their 4x4s.

i think the least expensive hotel is the super-8 and it is also the nearest to windrock ~5-miles.

KMAPRO

Jan 11, 2005
I'd like to express some interest in attending the festivities.

Is it open to any and all DRN southern folk or is this some type of club thing?

If I attend, will I get ragged on for not having the skills that most of you have now? I just bought my bike this past weekend and I am eager to find a place to go ride.

What kind of cost is associated with this trip?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
You'll need a $500 deposit (payable to ME) a bike, $12.50 for a commemorative T-shirt with a picture of Ivan on it, and a short stick so you can poke Gomer every time he falls. You'll also need a pair of ear plugs in case Lemming corners you and starts talking about how studly and talented he is.

If you'll just smile and nod your head occasionally, he'll never notice the ear plugs. It's not like he'll give you a chance to actually SAY anything, anyway.

A couple of sedatives for Wrench would probably be a good idea as well.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'll take the blame. It's not like he's Ivan or anything.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
That first weekend in April is open for me. I may have to buy some "heat-n-eat" burritoes and take a drive :yikes:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Scientists at the Uniburpity of Bambalamba are eager to start work on version two of a perpetual motion machinec based on a design copied from Ivan's mouth.

They're hoping that version two's rev limitter will keep it from flying apart the way version one did.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom