joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
I have started discussing it on GOR, but will put up a dedicated new thread today. I am not a member of thumpertalk. If you are, could you please handle?

Could those who plan to attend confirm with a post? I need to have an idea of how many, riders and guests, so I can tell Perry. Thanks! :)

I saw some recent pics of Aonia- track looks super prepped, clean grounds, well maintained. Should be A+ riding conditions- loamy, wide, groomed, watered.

Perry at Aonia has confirmed campfire is fine. The camping area appears to be not too far from the bathrooms/showers. Anything else I need to find out about?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Sounds like you have it covered.

Here is a partial list of who I know is coming...

Me
Gomer (x2)
James
Vince

I'm sure there are more. Hopefully they will post that they will be there.

Ivan

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I'm going to try and make it. I'll start warming the wife up to it tonight, it's all about the fundage. Looks like 400 miles one way, maybe 6 1/2 hour drive? We'll see.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
truespode said:
Sounds like you have it covered.

Here is a partial list of who I know is coming...

Me
Gomer (x2)
James
Vince

I'm sure there are more. Hopefully they will post that they will be there.

Ivan

Ivan,
Where can I find out about ammenities and such?

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
For those who have not gathered the bits and pieces along the way or don't want to go back through 4 long pages (I can't blame you...) here is something I posted today on GOR and here in the general rides section:

Every year the southern members of Dirtrider.net host a "Southern Spodefest". This is a fun filled weekend of family oriented track and trail riding and camping. It will be in Georgia this year I believe for the first time in a long while, if ever. There will be the option each day of Aonia's track for $15, trail for $10, or both.

They also have a flat track I think, plus the SX track might be available during the evening too, to make Crash happy. Camping is free, although if you want to make an electrical hookup to your RV, it will be $10.

The track is in excellent shape. It was great in November, and per recent pictures and reports, is even better now. Lots of loam tilled in, extensive grooming, regular watering. It is also a very safe track, with forgiving landings if you come up short.

Plus, for the charity ride this Sunday, the sponsor is doing lots of work on the trails, including extensive one way signage which they might possibly keep up for us. I think they have 13+ miles of nice, do-able family oriented trails that the kids and wives can enjoy on the little bikes and quads, 150's, etc.

I believe Mother's day is the 9th, but this would actually be a nice family oriented way to spend mother's day. I know some of you, for example Mxrider, have a better half who enjoys camping and dirt biking. Plus, you could always camp Friday night, enjoy a campfire and camaraderie with lots of GOR, DRN and Thumpertalk folks, ride all day Saturday, and be home Sunday if your better half insists.

There will be a surprise guest Saturday. A hint- he trained Jeff Stanton while Jeff was at his prime in the late 80's and early 90's, he has worked extensively with Gary and David Bailey in the mid to late 80's, and he is currently training a professional SX racer who frequently makes the main. I expect he will give a free mini-seminar on riding/racing safety and countermeasures, among other things, Saturday evening. More details once I firm that up.

If you are interested, please post. Thanks. Any questions, feel free to post, pm me, or call me 706 206 0073.

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Hey guy's I have never been to Aonia, thought it was all track and no trails!!
I'm a woods guy, Someone may have already said and I missed, do they allow RV's there?

Nice to see ya Truespode......................

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
DRZ Dad, there have been 13 miles of trail cut for the Dream House Ride on April 25th {Sunday}. As far as I know they have no problem with RV's. I see them there every time I go, but that has been limited to the charity events held there. Its a long haul from Chas SC!

I am pretty sure there is a website for Aonia Pass, although I dont know the URL.

Robert

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Thanks, I dunno how I missed the link before! Robert, My son and I are gonna try and change some pre-arranged ( read wife's ) plans for Sunday, we will try and see ya there,

The southin spodefest, sounds like a real hoot.................

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Can't wait!

For all of you that are coming, please make sure to also reply in the "Places To Ride" forum since not everyone (meaning me) checks in here regularly.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Here's a track report I posted last night on GOR regarding my ride yesterday:

"The track was great. I would not have believed a track in Georgia could be this loamy, well groomed and dust free! It was the best I have ever seen any track, anywhere.

They added some new jumps, such as the new double after the front straight tables and drop off. Smooth face, 60', 4th gear pinned. The other jumps were very good too, especially the single to table on the back straight. Some serious flight time potential there.

The turns quickly developed some nice rut berms so you could rail through. There were flaggers at almost every jump, all day long, so safety was emphasized. By the way, per Sam, the event promoter, they are in desperate need of more volunteers next year. Sam and his crew worked their tail off all day long, to ensure it was fun for all. They have been cutting trails for weeks.

I Rode the 13 mile loop and really enjoyed the peace and solitude and shade after the action of the mx track. I even got to ride another 1/2 loop at the end of the day as they were taking down arrows. The trails were in pretty thick woods, but not too tight. I ran most of it in 2nd, with a few opportunities in the open field sections to get to 5th gear WOT. It was apparent that a LOT of hard work went into event prep. I can't imagine having to cut in a brand new continuous loop just for a 1 day event! Although I may run it again in 2 weeks at spodefest...

I finally got to meet the owner, Perry, in person, after several phone calls. He was just as accomodating and enthusiastic about the event as Sam. Really a great crew."

Mike- thanks for reminding folks to also reply in hte other thread...

Top Bottom