spark plug options: BR8ES,BR9ES,BR8EG,etc. which one?

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
hey guys, i need some help with choosing my spark plug. the brand i use is ngk racing competition. weve used BR8EG and BR9ES. were not exactly sure which one lastes longer or is better for the engine of my 00' kx 125. any suggestions?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
If your doing typical MX or other high rpm, high load riding the 9 plug is the correct range. However, if your doing mostly trail riding or otherwise low load, lower rpm riding the 9 is too cold to stay clean and an 8 would be better. I perfer the EIX type as they have a finer electrode and are more resistant to fouling.

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
ive never heard of the EIX type plug. are they as common as the other plugs?(as in selling at autozone or napa autoparts)

i dont trail ride, about the only place i take my bike is TNT. so all you guys would say the BR9ES,BR9EG,BR9EIK? whats the difference between e and g at the end of the type of spark plug?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
CamDayKX125(4) said:
ive never heard of the EIX type plug. are they as common as the other plugs?(as in selling at autozone or napa autoparts)

i dont trail ride, about the only place i take my bike is TNT. so all you guys would say the BR9ES,BR9EG,BR9EIK? whats the difference between e and g at the end of the type of spark plug?

snb73 has given you links to that information, please make use of them.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Don't waste your money on expensive plugs. Pick up a BR9ES from Pep Boys or Autozone for $1.50 a plug. If it fouls, try the hotter BR8ES plug.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
The EIX works great for me. I typically am riding hard on a MX track, but sometimes like to putt around with my wife who is just getting into the sport. I would risk fouling at extended slow riding with the ES plug but have less issues with the EIX. I keep jetting spot on, but for whatever reason the CR with jetting that works best when riding hard will foul (slowly carbon foul) from slower riding. Of course I could re-jet and tune the bike for slower riding, but then it wouldn't be as good when I'm riding hard -get it? I find the extra resistance to fowling is also useful in harescrambles where you have dead engine starts and frequently have to idle for a while to get the engine to temp, then shut down then the flag drops. Just my experence. BTW my local auto and cycle shops carry the BR8EIX (what my CR250R takes) and they are about 6bux - the ES plugs are 2 or 3. Really, 3 bux a year isn't a bid deal.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
nikki said:
Don't waste your money on expensive plugs. Pick up a BR9ES from Pep Boys or Autozone for $1.50 a plug. If it fouls, try the hotter BR8ES plug.

:cool:

ditty21

Sep 4, 2007
If my nephew is doing a lot of low rpm riding can I use the BR8EG plugs that I have? Also, what should I be gapping them at to get the best performance. I never used to gap them...just use them straight out of the box. I know, not a good practice until a tech told me different.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I use a BR8ES in my YZ125. I used to foul plugs every ride after about 1 hour when I used BR9EG and ES' then I switched to the BR8ES and I haven't fouled a plug for months

Top Bottom