Spark Plug Preference for newer KTM's

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I'm curious what everyone is running for plugs in the newer KTM's. I just bought an '01 300 MXC and fouled a plug idling it around with the stock jetting. Is everyone using the recommended NGK B8ECM or whatever it is, or are other plugs acceptable? Any information and opinions are appreciated.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I was running the BR8ES and found out the BR8EV is lasting longer. You can get the BR8EV for about $3.00 apiece at either O'Reilly Auto or Advance Auto Parts. I had to give them the NGK stock number in order for them to order the EV as they don't stock them. The BR8ES runs around $1.19. Advance Auto won't look up the NKG stock number for you, but O'Reilly will.

I have both NGK stock numbers if you want them, just email me at RICKM7331@aol.com

------------------
'00 KTM250exc
www.goodguys.dirtrider.net

[This message has been edited by KDX220rm (edited 03-15-2001).]

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Hey William,

I edited my post because I said BR8EG and I think I meant BR8EV which the EV is fine electrode wire verses the normal size electrode. The fine wire doesn't foul as easy.

Sorry for the confusion.

------------------
'00 KTM250exc

RoadRunner

Oct 17, 1999
I don't think I've ever fouled a BR8es, but then I dont idle my spotless bike around the parking lot like a show pony for hours on end like Rick does. There's been a couple times where I've seen that using a EV makes the bike easier to start, or reduces fouling. But both of those machines had weak spark and fairly high compression.

One thing the ecm is nice for is the fact that the plug is shorter and easier to fit under the tank when replacing.

------------------
"Terror of the novice class"
<<<1998 380sx>>>

[This message has been edited by RoadRunner (edited 03-15-2001).]

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Thanks for the info, guys. My bike isn't even broken in yet. It's been too cold, wet and nasty here in northern Illinois to ride it. All I've done so far is idle up and down the street a little bit and in my yard and last Saturday I fouled the original plug already doing that. I need to buy a couple of spares and that's why I asked the question. I figured BR8ES plugs would work fine, but wasn't sure. Anyone ever use anything besides NGK's?

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Show pony, what the heck are you talking about Roadrunner? Geeze, I thought it was great to have friends.
smile.gif

Forgot to tell you one thing. If you go to the BR8ES or BR8EV, you will need to get a different spark plug protection bootie. I think its around $2.50 at the KTM dealer. The rubber gromment bootie that works on the factory plug, doesn't seal around the BR8E plugs, so it will let dirt fall down into the cylinder if you don't replace it with the modified ones that work on the BR8E plugs.

------------------
'00 KTM250exc

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Same as Art. One per season. Once the bike is jetted right, no foulie. Easy to access, has the oring groove in the right place, excellent performance.

Run the BR8ECM. KTM's gotta pay at least $6 each for them when installing at the factory.

Virtually no chance of negative electrode failure as opposed to the BR8es... Cheap at about $12 per year.....

Deznut

Sep 5, 2000
I am running the stock plug and have yet to foul one. I have cleaned up the jetting condiderably though. I am running a 172 main, 42 pilot and a 1367N needle from Sudco. I ride from 3000-5000 ft elevation but I have talked to a couple guys who ride at sea level who run the same jetting (using different needle clip positions) with excellent results. These bikes come jetted really rich and this could be the source of your plug fouling problem. I also replaced the stock "stovepipe" with an FMF Turbinecore II. Good luck.

Top Bottom