MartyQ

Mar 4, 2001
Ive done it too, woroks pretty well. But Im the only person I know of out of my friends with Yz's or Wr's that does not have a problem starting my bike. I always get it started after 1 or 2 kicks. I think its that Polish luck finally kicking in. Bout time.

Marty

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
If it takes me three kicks to start my WR, thats alot.

------------------
2001 WR426F
"The measure of a man is what he does with power."

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I was wondering how hard it was to kick without using the cr . I hope you're reading this thread, Ernie.
smile.gif

Crash_Alot

Sep 12, 2000
You guys must be eatin' yer Wheaties...
I can't get mine to budge after TDC without the CR lever.
Glad to see you've found a method that works for you.

FYI...
I have found a sure fire method of getting my 250F to fire off when it is cold.

First I turn on the gas then roll the bike over on its side just enough to get gas coming out of the drain tubes. (Yup, just like a 2 smoke).
Then quickly bring it back upright.
Turn on the choke, find TDC and kick like a mule.

So far it has worked first time everytime for me.

Simmo

Mar 18, 2001
What about when you crash it fellas?
i've had heaps of problems getting it going after crashing! Any suggestions?

Cheers
Simmo

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
It is amazing how many different starting drills exist for the four strokes. I have a KLX300 and I have heard of at least 20 different ways of starting the bike, not to mention the owners who never seem to start the bike at all! I think you find what works for your bike and religously adhere to that proceedure.

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
They are new bikes, give it a couple of months and the starting issue will raise it's ugly head.

I can still start mine after it's a year old but the TDC and hot start button are definitely a prerequisite.

Additionally, a couple of guys I race with have had the same experience, easy to start first couple of months without going through the usual thumper starting procedure and then later, well you better know how to start a high compression four stroke or you could be lapped on a five mile loop.

------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Yeah, I was riding the 250F this weekend, rolled over a small double, in 1st to check it out and the bike stalls... I kicked all the methods, my friend with a yz400f kicked, then another fellow, but i noticed him giving it gas, that was it... Luckily i carry a spare plug, for I knew it had to be fouled after he was tweaking the gas.. I got a pull from a 4wheeler, even with the new plug in, was in 4th, let clutch out and bumped it.. Later that day, I noticed that with the hot start button pulled out after a stall, pull in compression lever and kick about 10-15 times, then release the lever, fires up, cleans it out... just some more info on starting these bikes,, I got about 4 hrs on her now and the starting is getting easier....

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Just like all the above do the drill, but a little tip that works for me: after you have been riding and are stopping for a break,or stalled the bike pull out the red button fast, before you even get ready to try to start it again. This allows more cool air to fill the passage. Then start the drill. If you use the decomp. lever after you have TDC, just crack it, I mean hardly even let the lever go down at all, bring it back up and a nice kick, if you try to kick it harder to make it start you will waist your time and drive your aluminum kickstarter into your footpeg, you dont need to kick it to Japan to get it started, just follow through the stroke.
My .02

Top Bottom