Still not sure how to repack a silencer

chooch

Mar 6, 2001
I'm in the process of completely going through a used bike I bought from a friend. Everything was looking ok, except when I got to the silencer. I don't think my friend ever repacked it before. When I opened it up, there was maybe a tablespoon of what could be called remnants of the original packing.

chooch

Mar 6, 2001
whoops! hit the post button by mistake. Anyways, I plan to go to the hardware store to buy some fiberglass insulation stuff, but I was wondering if I need to put like chicken wire or something like that around it. Also, how densely should I pack it? I've searched the posts but couldn't find the answers to these questions. Thanks,

JohnnyB

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Packing a silencer is easy, and should become a part of your regular maintenance. After removing the old packing, clean the core thoroughly, and make sure all the little holes are clear. Wrap the packing (fiberglass works fine, and is much cheaper than the stuff you buy at the dealer) snugly around the core, and use enough to make it a nice snug fit when sliding it into the can. I also like to seal both end caps with a small amount of silicone before sliding them completely into the can.

You definitely need to repack on a regular basis. When the packing becomes oil-logged or starts to blow out, not only does the bike get louder, but performance suffers as well.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
If you want the bike to be quieter for no power lose (& we all should) do buy decent packing like Daytona or that KTM rock wool stuff.

At a track with a sound meter & new fibreglass packing my bike failed the sound test. Pulled it out & repacked it with some Daytona stuff & it was about 2-3db quieter & passed.

As soon as the inner packing gets crud infested the efficiency falls off.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Cruddy packing can also make you think your bike is spooging, when in fact, it may not be.

Top Bottom