craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Well, I say he's a new Heartland Spode, but the one time he went down, I was in front of him and couldn't apply the initiation. Bswift and Dwreck were in position, but I'm a little unclear as to why the initiation was not applied by them....
His name is Terry, and I met him via the 'wife connection', our wives work together.
Terry picked up a new WR250F, and had not been able to put any trail miles on it. We had been sending messages through our wives, until Friday afternoon when I called him for an official 'date'.
We worked out the logistics and ended up pulling into the 500 around 9AM, Saturday morning. We unloaded and geared up in about 60 degree calm weather.
We hit a short trail section that goes by the MX track. We both rolled a lap there and headed back to camp. Bswift had just gotten there and we intro'ed while Brian got ready.
The 3 of us then hit a longer trail section, and I lost any fear of Terry being 'over his head' with us. At one point, Brian was leading, me second with Terry bring up the rear. I was going full out just to keep on Swift's tail for a couple of miles. We stopped at a trail split, and Terry was less than a minute behind us. I thought it was pretty impressive for someone with no trail experience...
Back by camp and pick up Dwreck. Dwreck was planning on racing MX the next day in OKC, so he wasn't wanting to burn too much energy play riding. That worked out well, he wasn't challenging us, too much, when he was in the lead. (Hearland Spode bylaw, anytime new riders are present, current members are required to race the next day. Keeps them out of the 'maniac mode'...)
Back at camp, VioletSP shows up while we are taking a break. She gets geared up and we take a short loop. I don't know how it happens but Violet is really cranking along. Her last 2 rides were the Renegade Enduro last fall, and a ride on 'the farm'. She is riding alot better now, than either of the previous rides.
Back to camp and my beautiful, loving, kind, generous, thoughtful wife shows up with lunch. After a good food-drink-talk break, it's wife's turn on the TTR. We do the long-short loop and have no problems. She does a couple of event-less loops before having a little biff. It was a left hander with 3-4 short and deep whoops in it. We talked about it afterward, and this is how it happened- her throttle grip was a little off, so when the first whoop throws her backward and straightens her arms out, gas is applied, which causes more arm straightening, more gas, etc. Fortunately, when she exits the trail, it's into the soft embrace of a cedar tree. It was minimal effort to extract her and the bike. Afterward, she comments that she is alot more comfortable on the trail, and talks about trying different things... looks like my riding days are not over, yet! ;)
All in all, it was a great day! Get to ride with old friends, new friend, and family. A little piece of Heaven, on earth....

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good day!  Terry(Deskjockey) did great.  I doubt he will be doing much today, LOL.  We started with the old Blue loop.  Kept it simple and made for a good warm up lap.  We gradually worked into some tighter more technical stuff and the newbie did just fine.  DWreck and I came upon his spill at the clean up stage and felt it inappropriate to perform the "whacking".  Terry will be a prime candidate for Heartland Spode affiliation so when the time comes, an appropriate "whack" will be applied.  Thanks, MOM, for the sammiches.:)  ViolettSP will be ready for the KDX real soon.  Maybe at the Farm next time, she'll get enough HS greif to give it a go.  Looking forward to the next ride.

tdjok

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2003
Yeah, I'm new to this trail business and I appreciate Craig, Brian and D'wreck putting up with me for the day. The riding was great except for the left hander that I failed to negotiate. You guys were a lot of fun.

Once I got all the mud off my once shiny new bike, I found that the mishap I had caused a little damage. The left radiator was "smashed" in about one inch at the bottom and needless to say the plastic guard was pretty broken up. I'm really surprised the radiator did not, and is not, leaking. The only problem is that I am going to have to replace the radiator to get any type of factory or aftermarket radiator guard to fit.

Anyway, I had a great time and look forward to riding again after my sore body is able to move again. Thanks again Craig, Brian and D'wreck.

Deskjockey

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sorry to hear about the bike damage.  You did great, even with the small mishap.  Look forward to having you join us for some more riding. 

VioletSP

Dec 16, 2001
it was a perfect day for riding! Grifter decided to stay in bed because of some bike trials hurts that he got on friday, so i had to ride with the big boys. the dirt looked softer than usual so i decided to go as fast as i could and just hang on until i got thrown. suprisingly that didnt happen. i felt way out of control but what i couldnt handle Rudy did for me. we worked really well together. after a long run the best mom in the world made a great lunch and afterward i only took one more short run before retiring for the day. It was great- not too many people but the immediate company was as witty and good-natured as ever!!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by craig_enid
(Hearland Spode bylaw, anytime new riders are present, current members are required to race the next day. Keeps them out of the 'maniac mode'...)

:silly: .........I like maniac mode.

Sounds like you guys had fun. Wish I could've been there.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I enjoyed meeting you Terry. Sorry to hear you damaged your bike, the first scratch always hurts the worst. I don't think that I have ever had so much trouble making myself load up to leave, but only two loops on a day as beautiful as Saturday seemed like a crime. Hard to believe that it was 23 degrees the next morning. To all others in attendance it was good seeing you, thanks for the cookies. I look forward to next time.

Top Bottom