txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
IF it is not cracked, you can take a block of wood, and a large C-clamp and gently mash it closer together, but it will never be as straight as new. It won't matter tho, being in the dirt.
You may also need to adjust the spokes some/true the rim...spin it and see.
Guys part out katooms all the time on ktmtalk, so that is also an option.

That was one freakin big hit man, I'll bet your wrists and insteps paid for that one!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bent you can fix. Twisted? I'l look for a new hoop.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I agree with Patm the bent part is not hard to fix. Twisted part is another animal. You can always give it try and see what happens meanwhile be looking around for a new one.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Aluminum rims that get deformed, at the same time work harden even more than when it was made. Each time the wheel gets a ding, a flat spot or bent, it gets even harder.
The flat spot is wider than the rest of the rim & can be pressed back into shape once or twice, but if the repair is near the weld it will crack. Aluminum is easily annealed (softened) but then the heat treatment/artificial aging will be compromised.
After the second repair, it's time for a new rim. Keep it round,good luck,Porkchop...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
txkawboy said:
IF it is not cracked, you can take a block of wood, and a large C-clamp and gently mash it closer together, but it will never be as straight as new. It won't matter tho, being in the dirt.

That works pretty good. Especially in a big vice. Back up BOTH sides of the rim with a block of wood so you don't mar the rim. Use a small block of wood over the bent part. Watch for cracks.

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Forgo the hassle of bending it and buy a new one. I just hooked it up with a used complete front wheel takeoff off fleabay for 50.00 w/ shipping. Granted, it had to do with some good timing on my part :). Now I can take off the rotor and sell it for the price of the wheel!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Good deal? Wait to make decisions after you see what you have got. New bearings and seals? And here is hoping the spokes/nipples are not froze, and the previous owner was not bending and fixing rims for a living. Vintage Bob

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
So i'm an old school rim bending dinosaur...

Proud of it& have lived long enough to tell the tale too.To super power a. clown,the block& clamp method is ok & Works,To Dangerman, timing is key to all good things.I built my 1st press 15 years before FLEABAY existed. The press was made to do the bearing removal,install jobs& bending to fabricate parts work. Then one day a friend showed up after a baja ride, rear rim of an old atk thumper smashed in& cracked half way thru. This cat was so cheap that he screwed his shoes on,Locktited&lock-wired them.He asked me if I cound fix it. I said ok, he took it off the bike, busted the tire off& I ground out a 1/4" wide groove around the gash, annealed about 4"s around the smash, pressed it into shape, tig welded the groove using a copper backing block then ground& finished it. He reassembled it,& rode the bike for another year & half then sold it to another friend, The part is still working today. My time involved was an hour.He was happy to pay $40. To OLD MX RACER.I like scrap! I melt down any& all aluminum,(rims too)& cast new parts from the stuff. Fleabay has made it so easy to part out bikes& get replacement bits& pieces.THANK GOD.To Mr. M.Davidson You got a free consultation on metallurgy ,manufacturing, welding repair,& Procurement. I'm happy to share info& experience on this kind of stuff. Best regards gentlemen, Flying Iron Porkchop ESQ.
:yikes: :whoa:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Porkchop said:
Proud of it& have lived long enough to tell the tale too.To super power a. clown,the block& clamp method is ok & Works,To Dangerman, timing is key to all good things.I built my 1st press 15 years before FLEABAY existed. The press was made to do the bearing removal,install jobs& bending to fabricate parts work. Then one day a friend showed up after a baja ride, rear rim of an old atk thumper smashed in& cracked half way thru. This cat was so cheap that he screwed his shoes on,Locktited&lock-wired them.He asked me if I cound fix it. I said ok, he took it off the bike, busted the tire off& I ground out a 1/4" wide groove around the gash, annealed about 4"s around the smash, pressed it into shape, tig welded the groove using a copper backing block then ground& finished it. He reassembled it,& rode the bike for another year & half then sold it to another friend, The part is still working today. My time involved was an hour.He was happy to pay $40. To OLD MX RACER.I like scrap! I melt down any& all aluminum,(rims too)& cast new parts from the stuff. Fleabay has made it so easy to part out bikes& get replacement bits& pieces.THANK GOD.To Mr. M.Davidson You got a free consultation on metallurgy ,manufacturing, welding repair,& Procurement. I'm happy to share info& experience on this kind of stuff. Best regards gentlemen, Flying Iron Porkchop ESQ.
:yikes: :whoa:
How about some pics? I like new parts, for my old dogs. Wiseco quit producing pistons for 78 and older rms, I have to assume the rest are the same. Brake pedals and kick starters? There was talk of a metallurgy forum?

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
Wow. I was gone for some time, and get so much help I don't know what to do with it! I have been watching the net for rims, almost got one at $100 out bid at the last second! :bang: Haven't tried any straightening methods yet, will try tomorrow night.

The crash wasn't that bad. I tried to jump off, took a handle bar to the nose, and fell under my bike, burning the back of my helmet, and bandana. Good 5 dollars spent that day!

Thank you Porkchop, thats a great story, I like hearing about the past I wont be able to live, It's interesting. :cool:

Top Bottom