Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Is there anyone out there that straightens slightly bent fork tubes?  We have 3 of them that have been bent.  It would be nice to get them straightened instead of buying new ones at $125 a pop.

They aren't bent severely but enough to stick compressed.

Thanks

Jason

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Any time you bend something and strighten it, it becomes work hardened-i would think its safest to get them replaced.Iknow on some of the factory honda teams they ran some Mazzo 45mm conventional forks, they used to bend from hard landings, after a few weeks they turned them around to bend them back.Its not ideal and does run a risk.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I just though someone mentioned that there was a service that straightened fork tubes a while back. Right now we have 3 pape weights. It would be nice to have them straightend if it was inexpensive enough. at least to have as a backup in case this ever happens again.
Nothing like trying to finish a race with compressed forks just to snag the points in the last race of the season when you only ahead by 8 points!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've straightened them with a hydraulic press ay work. You need a big enough surface plate to make sure they are straight though. Be careful not to bend them the other way while trying to straighten them (experence talking here :eek:)

Marcus's comment about work hardening is valid but if they are only bent .25" or so you shouldn't have any problem.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
In the bad old days Ive straightened several fork legs,but only on street bikes!I used a press at work,v-blocks,micro-meter,and extreme care!The fork legs these days on all bikes are a lot thinner,it must be easier to "dent" them.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I was naughty today and straightened some handle bar mounts for a friend thats selling his bike-just goes to show i dont practice what i preach-i will seek absolution from DRN members.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
OK I guess. One of the guys I race with has a neighbor that is a metalurgist. He said he could straighten them. I let him give it a whirl. They are already screwed so he really can't make them worse.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom