ThumperGod

Mar 21, 2003
I was looking threw some bike ads today and came buy a 1998 KX500 that said it was street legal. Has anyone ever seen or riden one of these things on the street. I thought you couldnt get modern two strokes road legal and if you can what can stop me from getting my 1999 RM250 street legal.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
local state inspection laws.

the old federal law was no two strokes over 100cc where to be mass produced and MARKETED for street use, not sure if that has changed.

If your state has a homemade/reconstructed vehicle title option and the vehicle passes ALL regulations . You cross the t's and dot the i's perfectly it is feasible. Helps immensely if you have a copy of all the regulations in hand while a state police officer inspects the vehicle and signs all appropiate paperwork. In PA here there is no emission testing <yet> on reconstructed motor vehicles and a state inspection mechanic has to sign papers saying that it is safe for the road according to the laws.
The Stateys that work at the DOT spots<liscence tests etc> I know are state inspection officers here.
Strange things can crop up though, the brake line on your dirt bike might not be D.O.T. certified and that should fail you if the inspection officer is meticulous.

It is 100% legal in most of the states as long as you are perfectly correct with all of your D.O.T. regulations, usually though there is something that you didnt think of that does not pass. There is no law stating that you can't build something legal but they will give the fine tooth comb treatment.

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
Out here in Idaho with all us farm boys, you can still drive around with no hood, no doors, no top and nobody will say anything. My first bike that I licensed for the street was a 1973 Suzuki ts185 2-stroke. I took the mirrors off and the turn signals off. Put on Cheng-shin tires and down to the DMV I went. :aj: Rode it to work for one whole summer. The only thing I think you might run into a problem with is if it needs a steel tank. My2cents.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have seen several KX500 and CR500 dual sport conversions, and have myself converted two KDX's in California. As jmics said, you are essentially making a 'homebuilt' street bike, and you only have to conform to your state's vehicle code and do not need to worry about federal emissions and DOT standards that a manufacturer must comply with to sell a bike in the USA. You will probably need some sort of inspection to get your plate.

You will probably not need a steel tank or smog equipment, but your state probably requires a DOT headlight, brake light, DOT approved tires, etc... Here in CA, there are two big obstacles: The bike should be 'green sticker' legal, and secondly the tail light must be able to be lit with the bike not running. This requires some sort of battery/charging system, which is expensive to add to a KX. Not all states have these requirements.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
i used to always want to put a dirt bike on the road, until I went to Hatfield McCoy. theres a couple small towns that allow riding on the street, and that was all it took to convince me the bike is best for off road.. (1996 CR500)

now if you convert it to supermotard and only use it for street, that would be awsome!

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
All my bikes for the last ten years have been street legal, including a KX500, a XR650R, 426WR, and three KTM380's.

Not sure what the big deal is.....

Who the heck wants to ride around on the street........ BORING!

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
its easily possible, i have a super motard cr500af legal for the street.
its really no prob.
::::shrugs::

Top Bottom