stripped counter sunk screw removal..

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Here is one for you mechanics. I have a 89 250R and I accidently stripped a phillips head screw in the top master cylinder cover. Handle bar located. I tried an ease out bit but the tip snapped off. Its badly stripped, whats my next step? :$

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
First try pulling it with a good VESSEL impact driver. I've gotten around a lot of ham-fisted rider stripped screws (many of my own doing) over the last 45 years with one.

If that's not available use a fine tip center punch to mark the center as close as possible and drill it with the tiniest drill you can. Once you have a clean hole increase the drill size a little at a time till you weaken the body of the screw and can peal it out.

If you are very good with a TIG welder, just drop a bead on the top of the screw and let the metal contraction shrink the screw. Done correctly they will usually come out by hand. If the first dab doesn't do it add a bit more till it eases out or you build up enough metal to file a slot in it and unscrew it.

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
First try pulling it with a good VESSEL impact driver. I've gotten around a lot of ham-fisted rider stripped screws (many of my own doing) over the last 45 years with one.

If that's not available use a fine tip center punch to mark the center as close as possible and drill it with the tiniest drill you can. Once you have a clean hole increase the drill size a little at a time till you weaken the body of the screw and can peal it out.

If you are very good with a TIG welder, just drop a bead on the top of the screw and let the metal contraction shrink the screw. Done correctly they will usually come out by hand. If the first dab doesn't do it add a bit more till it eases out or you build up enough metal to file a slot in it and unscrew it.
Thanks Rich, I'll try the center punch and small drill bit first. Fingers crossed, Thank again!

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
I wonder why Honda put phillips counter sunk screws in the master cylinder cap? A hex head bolt would work just fine....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's countersunk to provide a flush surface. Fewer sharp edges to hurt a rider in the those less than perfect moments.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom