Sunday morning HDR

Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
www.eric-gorr.com
I got called out early on Sunday morning so I grabbed my gear and figured as long as I was up and out I'd try to practice HDR shooting as the sun was coming up.

I only got a couple of shots that were halfway decent so I tried a couple of different post processing approaches to each. I'd be interested what you think looks good, what you think doesn't and most of all WHY. :cool:

Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
www.eric-gorr.com
Same photo in this sequence but processed three different ways. I have my favorite but I'm curious what other people might think.

Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
www.eric-gorr.com
A framing angle, with slightly different processing and different crops on the Civil War Union Soldier graveyard. I shot these at Rosehill cemetery in Chicago. This is a 350 acre cemetery first chartered in 1859. It sits right in the middle of the Ravenswood neighborhood on the city's far Northside. It has some pretty amazing stuff on the grounds.

Last edited:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
I know nothing about photography, just know what I like
1st scene
I like the black and white better, it just has more artistic feel to it than the color one
2nd scene
I like the 3rd choice with the brightest red on the steel. It looks more like a painting than a photo
cemetary scene
to dark
to light
just right lighting on 3 & 4

Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
www.eric-gorr.com
Thanks Walt. :cool:

While most days I think I know something about photography, I'll still base most of my decisions behind the camera on what I like too.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Visit site
As usual awesome shots and post prcessing
1st sequence I like #1 just think that the muted black and white gives it that lived in old time feeling
2nd sequence Torn between #2 and #3 Like Walt said the colors look like a painting but like the 1st sequence the BW just looks right for the scene
Cemetary sequence the last 2 are to close to pick. In them I like the sky giving an accent to the mood of a military cemetary. also to me in the 1st 2 that little flag in the foreground seems to get lost but stands out better in the final 2

All that from a guy that don't know jack about art but likes what he sees here

Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
www.eric-gorr.com
oldguy said:
All that from a guy that don't know jack about art but likes what he sees here
Thanks Dave :cool:

I'm with you, the only thing I know about art is the spelling of it :) I just shoot what I think will look good on my wall.

Phil

Nov 17, 1999
www.mxphotoz.com
I like the first two a lot, but can't choose between the color and B&W. They each have their own mood.

This is probably my favorite of the bunch, which actually surprised me because it has the most "processed" look to it I think. That normally is something I don't care for, but in this case, it just draws my eye and it pops so much that I find my self staring at it to absorb every detail.

Don't buy ANYTHING until you check the gear finder! Need parts, tools or gear? Find it now: In-Stock & On-Sale! Real-time results, from multiple dealer inventories.