sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I got up yesterday morning and went out to the garage with my slippers on and removed the seat the tank and lossened the carb and twisted it to the side and got the cap off and lowered the needle clip one position to groove #2 ...later i went for a ride around the block and it seemed cleaner and crisper..so about 3pm we loaded up for a quick ride at area 51 (secret spot) and it feels real good, maybe too good it's scarey fast and front end light, kinda feels like i put a yz250 engine in it.

there is hardley any smoke coming out of the pipe, this may be spot on jetting, but it's got me worried that the engine won't last long at all and its more of a handfull to ride like instant insane power at the slightest input from the throttle, not at all the happy lazy ride it was before!! I'm first going to try to go up from a 42 pilot to a 45 and see if that gives it a bit more fuel and lube for when I cut the throttle. I guess I'm worried cause I don't have to "clean it out" every so often.

I can learn how to use all this new spunk and the trials tire that won't give up traction in a turn it's just going to take some time

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Bob
I got a little dirt on her yesterday its actually been dry for a few weeks down here.
I hope to get to durhamtown the monday after thanksgiving

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
The silver paint on the frame really makes the bike look nice!

What is your current jetting?

And does the original side stand really look like that? Or did you mod it to get it up and out of the way?

Great looking KDX!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Nice build! If it wasn't for the side panels you'de never know it was the same bike. Enjoy it man! :cool: :ride:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
reep I think the side stand self modded, it looks a bit off when down on the flat concrete but in the dirt you'd never know and it does stay up out of the way nicely so I didn't want to "fix it".

jetting is now 42/155 2nd yesterday it was 72*f and pretty low humidity where at around 1000ft
was 42/155 3rd.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks tedh98

I put alot of time into it making sure all was good and clean cleaning cleaning.
she deserved it ....after all I paid $700 for it and never "had to" fix anything in one year and serveral rides/ trips untill I sunk it so I gave her a nice work over.
I was rewarded the first time out with a nice tight like new feeling bike and surprized with power that IMO feels like a 250 2t copared to before

I think I'm going to give up several of my other bikes and focus on getting out every weekend to ride/practice, first I need to sell some bikes then find a hitch for the caravan ( can't afford to drive 4hrs round trip in the dodge ram big horn) then a 5X8 trailer and a small home gym or membership.
then add steering stabelizer auto clutch w/lh rear brakes or buy the klx450 plated w/auto clutch and lhrb from my motorcycle tire shop guy for 5k

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I would try it out and it may be a bit big and bulky for the riding I prefer was thinking more of a replacement for the xt350 back up bike...mostly dreaming though my wallet aint right!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Your bike looks pretty bad azz, but, I like the muddy bike better! Vintage BOB

Bob I'll have some pics that you will like up tomorrow

I got to do a full shake down at Durhamtown Plantation today ...all I can say is WOW..I have got one hell of a woods bike now.

Only 1 problem though.....I was having a bitch of a time last thursday getting the right side cover on and ended up removing the clutch then the inner cover went on easy chessey then some where between thursday night and Friday after work I must have forgotten to retorque the center clutch nut, but it was fine for the break in heat cycles I did friday and saturday and the short test at area 51,,
But today on the 3rd run at Durhamtown I suddenly could not pull the clutch in.. so I rode back to the truck w/o clutch.
At the truck I put it in nuetral and started it up after finding the cable nut loose at the right cover and fixing that I could pull the clutch in again!!! 4th run produced the no clutch problem again so ditto the whole run w/o clutch
apparently the nut spins back on the primary shaft when in nuetral but quickly, by third gear, backs out as to block the part 13091 from being able to push against 13091A and dis engage the clutch
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/servicehonda/Kawasaki_OEM/KawasakiDB.asp?Type=13&A=195&B=5

when I got back to the truck I laid the bike over and began surgery...I had to use a 7/8 socket in lue of a 22mm for the center clutch nut BUt was finished in 5 minutes and got runs 5, and 6 in.

I'm very happy with trials tire,jetting, shim stack mod, fork drop 11mm 38 springs and kuoba link all coming together with everything cleaned/repaired/replaced/regreased..man Just feels like I got a better than new bike :cool:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I did that same thing with the clutch hub nut the first time I pieced mine together after I picked it up.

Congrats on the successful rebuild!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks J.D. now all I have to do is figuer out how to trim the costs of riding so I can do it more often it costed me $63 in gas for the truck, $12 for the bike, $30 for a day pass at durhatown yesterday!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
here ya go guys back to normal Bob hope you like it :cool:
IMG_1740.jpg

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats looking much better. I would keep an eye on that front brake cable, it seems its binding. You do not want any unplanned trips over the bars! Or premature wasting the cable. Vintage Bob

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah man the pig snot on trails s and v at Durhamtown works wonders.

thanks for the heads up on the cable I had not noticed it or any problems before...I think its from the 1984 kdx headlight crowding it at the top I'm not sure I can adjust the angle it comes off the master cylinder though :cool:

the bike is now cleaned up :) the black paint on the engine releases dirt much better than the raw aluminum but it also shows where you did not clean it good enough alot more :|

Top Bottom