Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
I am looking to reconfigure my bike's suspension. I am about 195 lbs and ride a '01 KDX220. I have been riding about 18 years and primarily ride tight and technical trails but I also enjoy doing the occassional lap or two at the track. I tend to ride quite aggressively. For the trails the factory setup appears to be working well, save for a few adjustments. When I start hitting the jumps I know the suspension is lacking. What is the best modification I can perform while not having get a second job to finance it? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Aloha

------------------
'01 KDX220r
Ride it Hard and Fast!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
First thing is to set your sag (if you haven't already). This will also help you decide whether you need heavier springs as well (see manual), suggest you likely will need heavier springs (at least eventually).

Next, try adding a little more oil to forks (raise height). This will give you a little more bottoming resistance and will cost nothing.

Other than clicker, which you obviously have already been using, I can't think of anyother free things for you to do.

Do check the springs though. Having the "right" rate spring will make live much more pleasant everywhere. If you are going to spend money, this is probably the best place to start.

------------------
JTT
Logic Over Hype Coalition

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
JTT:

Thanks for the information. I apologize if I seemed like a tight wad, that is not the case. I just don't have hundreds that I could justify spending on the bike at the moment. I could dig up some cash for new springs though. If I need to revalve and/or send the forks/shock off to be worked I probably don't have that kind of money at the moment. What type rate springs would you recommend for me based on the info that I provided?

Thanks again.

Scot

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
biggrin.gif
I didn't mean to refer that you were being cheap LOL...just pointing out the free stuff first.

Check out Race Techs website. They have a good spring calculator you can use to figure out what springs you should have. But don't forget to check that sag (with you on bike, in gear) and then static sag (just weight of bike, you off). As I mentioned this will give you a good indication whether you need springs. Your manual will show you how to take these settings and what the measurements should be.

------------------
JTT

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
JTT:

Thanks again. I will try setting the sag as recommended in the manual. I will also try changing the fork oil, adding more than recommended. I heard about using ATF in the forks, what do you think about that?

Aloha

Scot

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I've had great success with it so far. It tends to proved a greater range of adjustment to clickers (each click has a greater effect). You will have to go a couple of clicks lighter to get the same damping as stock though, as it is slightly heavier (or appears to be).

When raising fork oil level, try 5mm at a time. The level is measured from the top of fork. The stock level and allowable range will be listed in your manual.

Enjoy, and good luck!

------------------
JTT

Top Bottom