Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
BTW, on his website he also has a tuning guide that will help you decide some basics on adjusting the clickers.

Refer to your owners manual if you need a reference as to which clicker does what (rebound or compression).

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Lee ~54:
And I mean I dont know anything about that stuff and I dont have a dad to do any work on my bike

That is why you never try out new settings at a race... that is what practice is for.

Not to dissappoint you Lee but clicker settings is like jetting... you have to learn by trial and error. Most suspension setups that are effected by the clicker can only be found through trial and error.

Jer can do a re-valve, change springs and come really close with a general clicker setting but you may not need all that.

The best thing to do is to take a day to go out to the track, record the conditions in a log, try different clicker positions, be very careful and log each setting.

Then do the same at a different track.

Have you read Jer's website? I have printed off many things from there and use it every time I go riding. I usually adjust the clickers each time I go riding depending on conditions.

There is no one setting that works for all.

Also, look through Eric's book (either one) and there is a great write up on how to diagnose suspension. One thing is that someone can use a camcorder to film you while you ride and then you can diagnose certain aspects afterwards. Your mother can help you with that.

im 17 for pete sakes and Im doing all the work on my own bike so after a hot moto if I want to change a setting on the bike and it dosent work out to well on the second moto..im SOL cuz I dont have anybody at the track to talk to about settups .

BTW, as for being 17 and doing it all on your own... I was there and had to do it on my own. All on my own. That is why I had to give up bikes, get a job, pay my way through college and then wait to get back into bikes.

At 17 I ran varsity track, varsity cross country, played varsity basketball AND worked 24 hours a week (mostly 12 hour third shift on weekends).

You know I like you Lee, you know I respect what you are doing at 17 but that sob story doesn't work with me b/c I know many people who have it worse and do better. You have to play with the hand you are dealt. You are very lucky you have your mother to help.

[This message has been edited by Ivan Liechty (edited 01-04-2001).]

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
Cool... yeah I know the one you are talking about.

How is the suspension on the rest of the jumps? The ant hill can be real tough if you don't land it correctly.

I know Gomer had no problems with his CR and at one time the only gas in his shock was air and little mud dustballs!!! True story! Never effected him b/c he landed it correctly.

Your suspension will bottom on the largest G-outs so it is important to know how it reacts on the other parts of the track.

The anthill would be a PERFECT jump to have someone film you jumping.

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
BTW, I don't mean to sound like a know it all. I really don't know much about suspension but I did just finish re-reading that section in Eric's book and looking over the tuning guide as I was thinking of how my bike reacted last time I rode it.

Sorta have suspension on the brain.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Lee ~54:
I mean most even have logs kept of what setting work best at which track . And I mean I dont know anything about that stuff and I dont have a dad to do any work on my bike im 17 for pete sakes and Im doing all the work on my own bike so after a hot moto if I want to change a setting on the bike and it dosent work out to well on the second moto..im SOL

You just described what being a REAL RACER is like. Spend 1.50 on a pen and a notebook and start writing things down and educating yourself. You'll be a better racer for it. In spite of what you've been lead to believe that's how it's done by most guys. My dad doesn't even know how to change a tire on his car.
smile.gif

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
I know Lee... actually it is posts just like this that actually are the most educational.

As long as you put what you learn into practice you will be the better for it.

Just imagine in a couple years you will be telling all the spoiled brats at the track that you have been doing your own jetting and suspension tuning for years
smile.gif

Good luck dude and report back what you notice with different settings.

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
Lee,
dont be concerned with saving a few bucks trying to shop for the best deal on suspension. Most of the suspension shops charge close to the same price, just go for the one with the best reputation. Right now, MX Tech was rated, by far, the best. You also need to look into what extra things are included, like warranties and guarantees.

------------------
Paul
'97 YZ250
'86 VFR400R
Mechanical "nut"

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Lee, I agree with Ivan. I suggest you take the time to learn at least a little about adjusting your stock suspench, keep a log, and play with the clickers each time you practice (don't forget to record everything).

Your buddies will probably tease you about being "anal", but beleive me, it will pay dividends in the future, like when their "dads" are not around, and track conditions have changed. You will understand what to do, they will be stuck with nowhere to turn.

Same goes for jetting. This site is awesome, and any questions you have, don't be shy to ask. I think I can assure you that everyone here has asked a dumb question, or two on occassion (I know I do all the time), but it's worth it to really understanding.

Once you get a better understanding, then it make sense to go to the next level and get Jer, or whoever to "custom" build your suspench. At that time you will know what you want, and how to adjust it to your riding.

Remember, it's better to ask questions and be thought a fool, than to not ask and be proved one.

JTT

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
They are all right about playing with the suspension. One of the best things I ever did was to get the rear shock dialed in correctly. I tried using the stock spring (too soft) and compensating for it with more re-bound and compression and it was always harsh. Once I got the correct spring rate AND set the sag, it was a whole new bike! Even the front worked better due to the better balance of the suspension. I now check the sag regularly.

------------------
1992 WR 500
If it looked easy, then it wasnt me doing it!!!

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
Lee, you mention that you are sponsored by "Performance Honda of Charlotte". Sponsors usually like to see there riders win. Haven't they at least been able to tell you how the clickers work??? In what way do they sponsor you? That would be the first place I would go, at least to learn the basics. If they aren't will to spend a little time with you maybe it's time to take your business elsewhere.

Oct 22, 2000
I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned, but some of the best people to talk to are right where you practice. I have never met a rider who didn't mind sharing his secrets to success, sometimes to the point of nausea. I just toss him/her a cold one after a long day of falling off my bike and just start comparing notes. I learned more about my bike from folks who own, or used to own, one and they have been more than willing to share the wealth with regards to settings and mods. That's why I like this forum, I can just kick back, enjoy a cold one
smile.gif
and get tons of useful ( and useless ( just kidding
wink.gif
)) information. Ask around at the track and wherever it is you practice, I'm sure someone can lead you in the right direction and you can make new friends in the process.

------------------
Why? Because new bikes are just too damned expensive!

Dirthead

Dec 6, 2000
C'mon guys you can be a little more helpful than this. We should be able to get him at least within the ballpark.

How much do you weigh and what class are you racing?

What exactly (more specifically) don't you like about the suspension?

Is it blowing all the way through the travel and then bouncing too fast back up?

Front?
Rear?

[This message has been edited by Dirthead (edited 01-05-2001).]

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Lee a very usefull exercise is to get to a practice track and turn your clickers to full soft and take a SLOW ride and write down how it felt in your own words.Then turn them all to full hard and do the same.Then turn them to std positions and see which bad effects you still have.Now you should be able to adjust it either harder/softer faster/slower to improve it.Most people say they dont feel whats wrong when really they do, its just they cant tell the difference of a few clicks.

Jan 3, 2001
bro. in law has this bike and the stock settings seem very good.the kayaba's are more forgiving than the 250s showa counterpart.spring rates shouid be about right for your weight.how's your sag?good luck

Top Bottom