Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman

Jul 4, 2004
After a 98 yz400f and an 02 426f, I moved back to 2-stroke. They were really good bikes in both durability and performance, but my honest opinion after 5 years riding thumpers is that they are no better or worse than 2-strokes. There are pros and cons to either one. Both are very fast, reliable and race proven. 4-Strokes: Sooth power, Massive torque, long service life, good hole-shot machines, feel girthier, harder to work on, more complicated and expensive, will NEVER start as easy as 2-stroke when hot. Hop up parts prices,especially pipes, are ridiculous. And last but not least, one wont outlast the other in the long run. 2-stroke: lighter feel , easy to work on, less rocket science, super leaping ability from short approaches, start hot cold tired rider or whatever, must concentrate more on clutch and brake timing, re-build [ only slightly if at all ] more often. I do believe the mags are 100% pro thumper, but i also know alot of people who are jumping back off the thumper bandwagon.

d36RM racer

May 26, 2004
I agree people are jumping off the thumper bandwagon and going back to 2strokes. I have noticed im starting to see that im not the only 2stroke at the track anymore 3months ago I was the only 250 2stroke in the 250 class now its about 50/50 now and with the super light yz's comming out I think the 125 might make a comeback :aj:

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I just wish the AMA rules were a little bit more fair, especially in the 125 class. I'm sure 4 strokes have advantages and all, but I still choose to ride a 2 stroke. I'm not a racer, so I really don't care how my bike stacks up to others too much. But I like my 125 because it's light, fast, easy to work on (doesn't require much work, like valve adjustments and things), and sounds great. I don't want to lose my option to ride a 2 stroke because the epa seems to think that dirt bikes cause tons of pollution. I mean, come on the average person driving an SUV around with nothing in the back and no passengers probably pollutes more than 100 2 stroke dirt bikes.

B

biglou

The new 450's are considerably more "advanced" than the 400/426's were, IMO. Much lighter, narrower, flatter seat-tank transition, etc. I thought I was on a zen level with my 426, and I totally dig the 450 more.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
this is a great thread, and i am hearing the same things all the time. one of my buddies is the club Mr Fix It! today he left with 3 extra bike in his box van, all 04 thumpers, all blown up! he rides a 450 honda, but is a big guy and is going back to the 500AF. right now he is doing 3 thumper top ends a week for various people and he says most are costing major bling to bring back to life!!!

ive spoken to one guy today that laid down $1700 to get his KXF running again, and i looked at one of the mags last night that said regular 4 stroke maintainance includes fitting new bigger radiators and new valve springs to the KXF/RMZ after 10 hours.

come on back to the 2 strokes kids, its time to feel alive again!!!! feel the bloood running through your veins again......adrenalin......you know it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Last weekend I went to a semi local track with MadEarthWorm and a co-worker of mine. The co-worker rides a 04 CRF450. He wanted to take my KX out for a lap.....several laps later he returned and said "Man, what an exciting ride" :laugh: He loved it.
On a side note, the day before our outting I was down at HDR picking up some jets, a couple guys came in to drop off a RM250. The owner asked Pete "How you like these thumpers everyones riding? I'm thinking about getting one. Pete replied I love them. They're great for business LMAO :rotfl:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I've come back to two strokes, and won't go back until I can't buy one. I've had (and still have) Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes, and now ride a KTM and CR 250. The CR is much better with a torque pipe, flywheel and new exhaust header. With the lighter weight and less centrifugal force from the motor, I don't get worn out like I did on larger 4 strokes.

The other advantage on 2 strokes right now is price. you can really deal on two strokes in my area. That makes it easy to buy one put some nice hop-up parts on and still have money left over when compared to an equivalent 4 stroke.

CRspode

May 6, 2001
Any word on an 05 CR250? Man, I hope there is an improved 05 coming out. I hate blue but that YZ250 might just be the ticket.

Scott

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Holy cow! $1700 bucks to get a KXF running! That is way more than I care to spend! I mean it's not like dirt biking is the cheapest thing to do what with tires, chains, sprockets, pistons. But it sounds to me like this "4 stroke revolution" is going to price people out of it. Not to mention that I know of tracks and riding areas around here that are starting to get hassled by neighbors the more 4 strokes show up with those ridiculously loud exhausts!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Scott, I still haven't heard concrete about wether Honda is going to pull the plug on the 125 and 250.

CRspode

May 6, 2001
Thanks KX02,

I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can get a plush new red ride. That YZ sounds real nice though.

Scott

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
Tell you what..if that 05 YZ250 is like this 04 of mine it's going to be one sweet bike.. only complaint on mine is the forks are a little too stiff for my liking for now but I only have a few rides on her as it's only 2 1/2 weeks old ( to me). When I went in the store to pick out the bikes I did not give the four strokes a second look.... that's only b/c of what I remember of them 10 years ago and I did not read up on the modern ones but I still think I would have ended up with the YZ250 and the YZ85 ....That's what Im used to. I cant see the 4 bangers tearing up any quicker than the 2 strokes unless you are just riding the piss out of them or they have major issues with the design. I think they are all great bikes out there now days but Im not giving the blue up :) Jeff

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
My buddy was up at my practice track last weekend with his RMZ 250 and let me try it out.
Junk the thing would not start and kept on stallin once we finally got it running I drove around the track for a while but I felt I would have been faster if it would have been lighter and easier to throw around in the corners still I had no problem clearing the jumps I liked the easy smooth roll on power but I didnt like its feel in the corners.
The next day he blew it up at a MX school we both attended I dont wuite understand fourstrokes but apparently the valves got out of whack and ruined the head for the 2nd time.
I will be buying a YZ 125 or a CRF 250 ( I havent heard any complaints about the CRF 250 yet so I am hoping its the best choice for 250 four strokes)

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I've now had a '02 KTM 520 SX and a '03 YZ450F (after a '00 YZ250) and I'm seriously thinking about getting the '03 YZ250 if it really is at the weight limit as claimed. I love my 450 but I also like to ride different stuff.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
My buddy got a chance to race a 450 and he didn't like it....He got the holeshot on it but he said it was much more difficult for him to turn and he said it just felt heavy...

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
CRspode said:
Any word on an 05 CR250? Man, I hope there is an improved 05 coming out. I hate blue but that YZ250 might just be the ticket.

Scott
The CR250 and 125 continue to live! They both received more motor work in the pursuit for power. The 250 is supposed to have a new cylinder and case setup, with reworked power valves. Should be nice! This bike handles SO NICE, and is underrated in my mind.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
A MAJOR Motocross Magazine recently summed it up nicely

And it was in Motocross Axxxxx Magazine

Someone wrote in this:
Why didnt four-strokes replace two-strokes long ago?
It is so obvious the four-strokes are better.

They (Motocross Axxxxx Magazine) responded by saying this:
So much for your deductive powers, Sherlock.
In truth, two-strokes are the ultimate motocross racing engine.
A two-stroke engine weighs less,has fewer moving parts,has a significantly reduced maintenance cost, revs quicker, is cheaper to manufacture and produces more horsepower per litre than a four-stroke.
If two-strokes had been invented yesterday, we would be hailing their arrival as a watershed moment in engine technology.
So, why are four-strokes dominating now???
It is a combination of pending EPA legislation (which the manufacturers must comply), me-toosim on the part of the consumer, and the fact four-strokes are allowed under AMA rules considerably larger displacement.
Without the extra displacement no one would be racing a four stroke.

I thought this segment was a great post!

Especially the true part about Me-Tooism on the part of consumers, sounds to me like like are alot are are now saying Know-Wayiiism :clue:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
MWEISSEN said:
The CR250 and 125 continue to live! They both received more motor work in the pursuit for power. The 250 is supposed to have a new cylinder and case setup, with reworked power valves. Should be nice! This bike handles SO NICE, and is underrated in my mind.

If you got this info from Dirt Bike magazine, I'd hold off on the celebrations just yet. The info they reported parrots the Honda info on the '04 models, word for word. Also, Honda has yet to put any info on it's corporate website about the '05 two-strokes other than the '05 CR85 model. I've yet to see a bit of public information on the '05 Hondas as of yet.

I hope they don't go away for '05, but do far there's been no official word on thier status for next year.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
mtk said:
If you got this info from Dirt Bike magazine, I'd hold off on the celebrations just yet. The info they reported parrots the Honda info on the '04 models, word for word. Also, Honda has yet to put any info on it's corporate website about the '05 two-strokes other than the '05 CR85 model. I've yet to see a bit of public information on the '05 Hondas as of yet.

I hope they don't go away for '05, but do far there's been no official word on thier status for next year.

Yeah, that's where I saw it. I should know better than to quote those numbskulls anyway.....

CRspode

May 6, 2001
MWEISSEN said:
Yeah, that's where I saw it. I should know better than to quote those numbskulls anyway.....

Come on guys! I almost tossed that can of blue spray paint I have ready for all of my gear when I read a couple posts above that the 05 CR250 lives. I better hang on to the can a few weeks more and start preparing to be a possible Yamaha man.

Scott

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have a few friends that had gone to the "Dark Side" by joining in the 4 stroke craze a few years ago. They swore up and down how they were far superior to the 2 stroke in every way. Funny how a few different bikes later and a couple of years changes things. After riding both a friend's 02 cr250 and my 99 cr250, they "re-fell-in-love" with the nimble, light, and exciting power of the 2 strokes. Plus, here in California, it's tough to get a green sticker for the new bikes. The simple solution is a pre-2003 2 stroke. I knew they would be back. It was only a matter of time...

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I talked to Eric Kehoe at the Budds National. He said Honda will release a 125 and 250 two stroke for 05. He was tight lipped on "if "any changes were made.

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
I bought a 2000 WR 400 in late 99, owned it for a year,and hated it, ended up on the ground too much for my liking. I bought a 2001 KX 250 and rode that for a year and loved it. My original plan was to keep the KX and buy a new WR450 in 03. That plan fell through and I ended up selling the 01 KX and buying the 03 WR450. After a year of a "love,hate" relationship with WR, I sold it this spring and bought a NEW 01 KX250!! I guess I am not sold on the 4 strokes either. I grew up on a 2 stroke, and am much more comfortable on them. I think, however we all are going to have get used to the 4 strokes, because they ARE the future like it or not. My 2cts. :)

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
darringer said:
The simple solution is a pre-2003 2 stroke.

Why does Cali have some law on the books for Pre 2003 2 strokes?
Not that it matters I am not in Cali so I got a 04 2 stroke.
Just incase some worthless law regarding EPA emissions regulations is passed in 05 (not like it would actually help anything) :yeehaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom