synthetic oil bad for rfvc engines ?

XRBOB

Sep 13, 2004
I have heard this a few times and would like some opions or thoughts on the subject...... Ready..... Set....... Go !!!!

Bob

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What exactly have you heard that makes it "bad"?

Oct 10, 2004
As long as the oil does not have friction modafiers in it then it is fine for use in the tranny, Dont go and use something like royal purple as it has lots. The only advantage to running synthetic is is is capable of withstanding more heat then conventional oils

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
You may find that the very hot running Honda air cooled "Radial four valve combustion" (or is it chamber?) really do well on M1 red cap 15-50. The camshafts in those engines are subject to serious stress and overheated oil will result in early camshaft and follower wear. In addtion, the piston ring packs seem to be prone to overheating in certain conditions. When this happens, most of the ring tension is lost and the engines smoke badly, especially on startup. The M1 will not cause a healthy clutch to have problems.

Chris

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
I have had the same experience as cujet but I am running Amsoil 10w40 in the tranny and engine.
This is on a CRF250 and CRF450 no problems what so ever.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The trick with the RFVC (XR) engines, is to run a 20w50 when it is hot outside since they tend to run really hot in the summertime.

Top Bottom