TDC Valve Adjust Procedure for YZ450F

skos

Jan 24, 2009
TDC Valve Adjust Procedure for YZ450F 2006

I open up the valve cover and am trying to find TDY. It appears the last guys did not care how they put the timing chain back together because marks/dots do not line up.

I have 3 vertical marks I can see in the timing hole. I assume I use the middle one. Does this look correct to you guys. I have the timing mark in the middle. My manual shows only 1 mark.

Also if this is correct, then it appears my cams look incorrect. They are both facing out but at different angles.
YamahaYZ450fvalveadjusttimingmark1.jpg

YamahaYZ450fvalveadjusttimingmark004.jpg

YamahaYZ450fvalveadjusttimingchain006.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n183/skoscielak/YZ450F/YamahaYZ450fvalveadjustcamsout.jpg
YamahaYZ450fvalveadjustcamsout.jpg

skos

Jan 24, 2009
I am posting the answer.

It appears from the lack of responds that this is a tough one. I am posting the answer.

My pic shows the correct position for TDC with the cams facing "away from each other". There are three marks on the flywheel, two of them connected together by a line to make a wide "H"; the last mark is TDC. They dont specify that in the manual. My manual shows only 1 mark

If you have any questions let me know. You can also download the manual free here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/servic...als/index.aspx

miatalaw4u

Dec 2, 2010
On an older honda you have 3 marks. One for TDC one as a timing mark and one for setting the points. I don't know if that helps.

N

Nare

Oh boy im having same prob

My cam loab dosen't face opposite thoe,trying to get this engine together stuck at puting the cam and chain on,please help.

N

Nare

Ok I think I got it figured out

When I set it up the cam gears dots facing each other and spun ot over 180° the loabs ended up facing away from each other. I think I am on the right path.

mrdrummer1818

Jun 22, 2013
from the last picture it looks like the bike is a tooth off on the right side i found out a trick fixing the timing on my bike if you remove the spark plug and stick something long like a wooden dowel rod in the hole that the spark plug sits in, it will rest on the top of the piston and then when you turn the shaft watch the rod and see when it stops at the top then check your timing this is not the most accurate way to do it but it can help determine which line is the one you should line up with

Top Bottom