nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Wanted to remind everyone that the bigbore is still out there, and likely to remain cheap for a long time. While the ultimate 500 for the track would have to be the AF, keep in mind these other bastages are still available and parts are cheap. Mods are readily available, as well.

I ride with a guy on a CR250, and occasionally a guy with a CRF450. I'm a crappy rider, so I really can't beat either (probably--we've never raced)...and I have problems (primarily with arm pump and fatigue) riding short, up and down tracks. But if you have an MX track in your area that isn't too difficult, a bit stretched out, with big, long jumps--you can't have more fun than an an open class 2 stroke. Landing a jump with throttle on to keep speed up requires sitting on the tank, and then looping it out on any straightaway is a constant threat. The torque is horrendous and a blip of the throttle is enough to add 10 feet to any jump. The best way to describe this thing on a straightaway on the track is 'top fuel dragster'. Sounds stupid, but damn I'm having fun. What I don't understand, is why few others ride them. I'm sure the vet classes don't discriminate, and no doubt this would be a good bike for a majority of the vet style tracks.

Ignorant post. Oh well.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Too much arm pump for me, but a blast while it lasts.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
The last two guys I have ridden with on 500's ended up with a broken arm and a broken collar bone, respectively. Both were very skilled riders, just on a track that was too technical and small for that beast.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
As much as I love my 500, I tried a CR250 on the local MX track a few weeks ago and I was suprised at how much different it was. It seemed easier to ride but it could be that I'm getting a bit more comfortable on the track since my kids seem to have talked me into letting them race so I have to go with them to practice, especially my daughter. I follow her around to shield her from possible crashes, my son I can't even consider keeping up with so he's on his own.

The 250 was much lighter than my bike as it had the stock tank and none of the woods armor so that made a hugh difference. It also meant that I ran out of gas because normally I can ride all day at the track with my 500 and never even think about a fill up. Can't say that I'd trade my 500 in for a 250 in the woods but it was an easier ride on the track - especially the whoops! :eek: Once back in the woods though, I felt more comfortable on my 500, especially on the hillclimbs. The 250 was rideable on some of the more difficult hills but it took a lot of clutching and I stalled where I usually wouldn't have. It was easier to turn around than my 500 but if you make it up the first time, there's no need to turn around.

Karl suggested I sell the 500 and give the 250 a try but I just can't, I thought about it and I couldn't do it!!! Don't really know why but after reading a great article from a fellow big bore diehard I know I am not alone! Besides, I remember back when Karl was considering a smaller bike and after trying out many many bikes, he went to the AF - the perfect solution if your bike stays on it's tires more than on it's plastic. Mine's getting better at that but we aren't there yet. Check out Dyno Dave's article, no support groups are available but Dave certainly helps with the confusion:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2004/bigbikes/

Last edited:

RD00

Feb 28, 2004
I rode a CR500 for 6 years and it was a blast for a while. A couple of unexpected 5th gear wheelies and I decided it was time to get something I could manage a little better. Just picked up a new 03 CR250 on saturday.

kx134

May 4, 2004
Ignorant post. Oh well.
/\
not all all. you are just one of those crazy 500 guys.

My buddy and I were out on colorado trails, if you guys aren't familiar with that type of riding, picture ultra technical skinny rock sections on the sides of cliffs mixed in with wide open roads where you can really light it. No matter how fast I would ride my kx 250, he could just find a line and blow by me like I was on a xr 75 and he was on a crf450. 500s are awesome bikes but are strictly for those who are capable of riding them, ie not me.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
I think rider size/weight will also factor into the desire or need to try a big bore machine. At 160lbs with gear, I can go quicker in a straightline than the big fellas can on their 450Fs.

A 500 two-stroke would be pure suicide for a guy my size riding closed course. If I rode mostly desert, I *might* consider the Service Honda 500AF.

-Pace

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
I moved to a 500 a while back and I did have not regreted it, I do also have a 250 and a 125 for that matter. But, my favoret bike to ride is the 500, I did at one point have enough because of fatigue. But, I've found modifications to remove most of the viboration in the bars and have yet to turn back never will. Infact, I got to where I wanted a BIT more grunt. :eek: Nothing EG couldn't fix. :) I have had isses jetting, but I'm hoping that will be fixed soon. :thumb:

Tracks, trails, open farms........ :worship: cr/kx500

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I am 6' and 165 lbs and I basically learned to ride on my CR500 and then got the XR600 for a spare. It was heck trying to learn throttle control and how to maintain a proper minimum speed when I first got the 500 but now neither bike is much of a handful to me. I had to learn to ride the 600 gently to keep it from wiping out berms and trails from under me too. I don't know much about smaller bikes, my 200 has never really run for me but I ride other people's occasionally and I find myself disgusted with lack of power. I don't think I could ever be happy on a smaller bike until I get really old. My mentor always used to ride an XR600 until he was over 60, then he went through a few bikes and ended up with a DR250S. I have a long way to go for that and my 600 starts easier than his did which is why he got rid of it

Birken

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
500's, been riding them for years. As far as woods I can really move on the trails. Not a problem! To bad the engines don't run as smooth as the 250's. I like my CR but I think the KX500 has much more power. The KX500 is insane and I feel it also handles much different than the CR. The CR500 seems to handle much better than the KX but both are great bikes. Why do people think that the 500's are crazy? It's only the rider twisting the throttle. :laugh:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
To bad the engines don't run as smooth as the 250's.

The powervalved KX is a very, very smooth running engine when jetted right....even at very low rpm. Can do it all day long, but it's impossible to stay out of the throttle.

I don't remember what the bottom end on a CR500 is like--it's been a while. In any case, the tradeoff for awesome power is a no brainer.

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
My CR5 is electric in its power delivery. Not bad for a 15 year old bike. It's not stock though. It has a port job (unknown), a Pro Circuit pipe (thoroughly smashed) and had an Answer silencer, at least until it broke in two last ride...but it pulls hard from chug-a-lug to max rpm with no surprise of any kind. It is like a motor should be, it just works and you don't have to think about it. I think 88 was one of the best years from what I have heard except parts are getting scarce now.

Birken

YZ-Red

Apr 27, 2000
its true

Lifted from Dave Gagnon /aka Dyno Dave....

It says a mouthfull about owning a 500.....CR, KX, Macio, whatever.......

Long live the Dinasours!!

Why 500's Are Best

How about this; Compared to a smaller bike, your 500 is:

* Faster
* Properly tuned, has buckets of smooth power
* Has lots more torque
* Is more versatile,
* Is close to or is the same weight
* Is MUCH more durable
* Has more longevity (won't get thrashed as fast)
* Requires a less maintenance
* Initial purchase cost is less
* Cost less to operate on a yearly basis (less parts replacement - more rear tires though)
* Top ends last WAY LONGER
* Holds it's resale value better
* Requires very little clutch use
* Requires very little shifting
* And can "cover up" your sloppy riding mistakes
* And, if ridden correctly, it could be more efficient and might cause you to expend less energy riding in the tight than a smaller bike!

MORE THINGS TO CONSIDER
It could be said that more power is detrimental to fast riding in the tight. This is true, but that's why we concentrate on a skill called throttle control. Practice makes perfect.

500's also:

* Wheelie at will
* Are intimidating to others
* Can blast riders on the trail that you don't like
* Sound cooler
* AND ARE MORE FUN!

BOTTOM LINE: THE FUN FACTOR!
Ain't that REALLY what it's all about? It damn sure is! It might be a different story if my family's survival was dependent on my winning every race. But it doesn't…I ride for the fun of it! For me, that's bottom line. Fun.

Let's face it. Dirt bikes are not practical. So what if your buddies think that a smaller bike would be more "reasonable.".…Roost`em!

EVEN MORE THINGS TO CONSIDER
Also:

* It ain't in production any more!
* That makes it a rarity!
* If you cross over, you'll miss it.
* Not only that, used 500 two strokes are gonna' get expensive.

TWO STROKES VS FOUR STROKES?
No doubt, the new four strokes are the best they've ever been. And those four strokes are as practical as a dirt bike can be. But, as far as I'm concerned, in a nutshell, they are too technically complicated, too expensive, and everyone has one. In a short while, how many will have a 500cc two stroke? Only a select few.

Some bits from Dave Gagnon /aka Dyno Dave's artical that bbbom put a link up to.

I totally agree after 20 years of trail riding and racing.

cheers
Red

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think the CR 500 is one of the coolest bikes I have ever ridden.

I have ridden 250's for years. The bike handeled very well and th etorque was a complete riot to play with.

The odd part was listening to the engine. I felt like I was flying, heck, I was! The engine sounded like it was turning 4000 rpm's. I think someone liek myself could ride one of these 5 years before replacing the piston. Great bike. I am buying one when I find the right price.

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
Very rarely do I hold the throttle more than 1/2 for any length of time on mine. It just starts going too fast. So one day in the dunes I was riding, slowly as usual, when I saw some people way up on the peak I wanted to go see what they were doing. So I pointed the bike at them and began to climb. Well the sand got steeper and the bike started to bog and I thought for a second, it's not going to make it up this very steep line that I have chosen. Then I remembered, the other 1/2 throttle travel, and whacked it to WOT and held it there...the bike walked right up that sand in a fury of noise and roost...everybody was looking at me....I thought it was pretty cool to have been able to hold it at WOT for so long, and not even die.

Birken

pace

Nov 21, 2003
I would guess that a 150lb rider who can extract the potential of the 500 and go quicker than a 250 on closed circuit, is not representative of the vast majority of amateur riders. :yikes:

As I said, I'd consider it for dunes/trails..

-Pace

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rcannon said:
The odd part was listening to the engine. I felt like I was flying, heck, I was! The engine sounded like it was turning 4000 rpm's. I think someone liek myself could ride one of these 5 years before replacing the piston. Great bike. I am buying one when I find the right price.

I agree. Not much rev, but a lot of GO. Very deceiving as to how fast you are going.

Those bikes are a blast for playbikes...awesome.

YZ-Red

Apr 27, 2000
story

your comments remind me of a 3 hour cross country race I did a few years ago on my 98 cr500.

They had a massive up hill that took about a minute to climb. As the race went on I got braver and braver so on my last run I decided to pin the throttle fully open at the bottom and change gears as I could without backing out.

As you can guess I roosted up the hill and about half way up I flew past a cr250 as I was on the back wheel & barely in control. It took alot of mental effort to keep it pinned and by the time I reached the top of the hill I was in 4th or 5th & nailed.

I had to stop and rest but later in the pits the winner of the race approached me and it turned out he was the cr250 rider, he was absolutly amazed and he said the rooster tail behind me went for like 100 feet (30 metres), and he had to back off as he was beening hit with rocks the size of tennis balls!

So I got lapped in the race but I won the hill climb, and guess who had the most fun?

cheers
Red

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Been too busy moving to keep up on threads (or ride) but it's great to see all the open classer nuts are having fun as usual.

Too much HP is a wonderful thing!

rwhitlock

Dec 11, 2002
I am another one of those old die hard open classers.. However, I have not been on a track in years...

I ride mainly in the mountain trails and some hill climbs out here in the west.

The neat part was this winter I dropped my CR500 motor into an '03 YZ F chassis.

It turned out pretty cool! Slim and trim, seems lighter, easier to move around on, etc... oh, and it's blue! LOL

Since us freeloader members here can't post pics, drop me an email at rod248@msn.com and I'll send you a pic or 2..

Thanks,

Rod

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Unless that was a 250F, you didn't gain much...right? Why would you do that anyway? I mean, damn...I have nothing against it, and I respect your capabilities if anything, but you'd had better bang for your buck getting one of those aluminum-framed CR80 sized BBR shells and shoehorn one in there. :yikes: You wasted an 03 YZF? What's wrong with you, man! :laugh:

I was going to add that I can't break this thing. I think the motor would run on hydraulic oil, water..whatever you put in the tank. I can't wreck it enough--nothing's broken/bent/failed or anything on this bike other than plastic. Just another thing to keep in mind. This could be why you see a lot of old KX500's still out there tearing it up, some of which date back to the early 90's. CR's I can't comment on. Just another good reason to keep these old dino's alive.

I will say that yes, it beats the hell out of me....although I don't FEEL like a whimp, the other guys I ride with are still going when I have to pull off the track for a breather. :laugh: Hell, I threw up the other day. :yikes:

rwhitlock

Dec 11, 2002
Let's see if this works...

http://community.webshots.com/user/rwhitlock6

There are a few pics of my bikes..

As for why I did this.. well, because I wanted to and I could. Kinda like why a dog licks himself.. becuase he can.

I am in no way a motocross rider. I like to ride and have fun. Mountain trails, scenic rides, dunes, hill climbs, etc.. Racing is dying down for me. This bike is a blast to ride. It feels lighter (although I have not weighed it), looks better and handles better.

For me now, it's just about getting out of the house and having fun with buddies.

-- Rod

Top Bottom