nitropimp

Nov 29, 2003
gowen, don't tease me man. I need more info on/about that system. I would love to have the power your experiencing.
I got the cyl and cyl head back today, she is a 510 (89mm) now and took 0.012 off the head.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
I installed that along with a Rad Valve. The PVL was a bitch to set the timing on, but once I got it down (using a dial indicator) it was great. It is an entire system, the plate, stator, flywheel, coil, and CDI. It replaces everything. It made it a little harder to start due to less mass on the flywheel, but nothing a bigger kick won't fix, also using a IX plus helped alot. It is the biggest improvement I've done on the KX, top-end wise. If you want more information about them try http://www.pro-flo.com/proflo_pvl_ignitions.htm or http://www.pentonimports.com

nitropimp

Nov 29, 2003
ok, it is a PVL. I have been doing some research on the system. They don't have an application specific to the WR, but I think the YZ 490 system will work.
I have not been able to locate a Rad valve for the big cc Yamaha.
What is the IX plus?

MSD is working on an auto/air shift system for me. I just release the clutch lever and system will activate air shifter a specified rpm, managed with chips. Will need micro switch on clutch lever to activate system. Should make runs more consistent.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
The YZ490 is the same as the WR500 generator wise (I checked the microfiches,except the wr comes with a lighting coil). It comes with everything, coil, cdi, stator and flywheel, so you should be good. The IX plus ( :bang: sorry stupid keyboard. I ment PLUG) is the NGK Iridium Plug (eg I use a BR8EIX instead of a BR8ES or EG).

Edit: I now see they don't make a rad valve for a yz490. :(

Anyway, wow! I'd love to see that bike in action after all you are doing! :cool:

nitropimp said:
ok, it is a PVL. I have been doing some research on the system. They don't have an application specific to the WR, but I think the YZ 490 system will work.
I have not been able to locate a Rad valve for the big cc Yamaha.
What is the IX plus?

MSD is working on an auto/air shift system for me. I just release the clutch lever and system will activate air shifter a specified rpm, managed with chips. Will need micro switch on clutch lever to activate system. Should make runs more consistent.

Last edited:

yamahonky

Jul 2, 2004
The power of these bikes are amazing. A few weeks ago I was on a long strait riding in 3rd gear going about 45mph. A cr250 passed me wide open. I shifted up into 4th and twisted it back all the way :ohmy: the front wheel hovered just off the ground as my smooth YZ motor kept winding faster and faster until I passed him at about 70. The sound of 500 two strokes is very unique. Everyone looks to see what that low two stroke rumble is. You acually have to try hard to take off without lifting the front wheel :)

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Hey there guys, I love hearing about all these 500 stories, cant wait to get mine together, I just have one question...
What would be the best bike to put a 500 engine into, right now I just want a bike to ride on in the springtime and my engine will be done in the next month or so, but as of now it would be cheaper to find a rolling chassis of a 125 or 250 and put my 500 engine into then restoring my old 500 chassis.

What I was thinking about doing was putting my 85 CR5 Engine into a newer 3rd Gen. 125 or 250 frame so I have something to ride, then as more $$ comes in restore the rest of the 85 and put the engine back in, then find another 500 engine and put it in the frame I was using.

What do you guys think?
What got me goin on this was an ad for a 99 125 Rolling Chassis for $750 which is quite a bit less than what Im going to spend on my CR5 restoring it probably.

Also what is the difference between the newer 3rd. gen. 125 chassis and the 250 chassis? Is it just the engine and cooling and such. Thanks for any info guys. I cant wait to get riding this 500 instead of just looking at it in a million peices.

yamahonky

Jul 2, 2004
I'm pretty sure lot's of people put there CR500 engines in CR250 frames for a bike that handle better and is lighter. Also, my buddy thinks his new YZ125 with all the race mods can beat my ported, shaved head, DG piped, 60HP YZ490 in a drag race. I think he crazy :coocoo: What do you think?

Oct 10, 2004
I ha d a bad experiance on a 500 when i was 13 That was the last time I was on a big bore bike but nowdays I would like to get one if i could find one cheap

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
yamahonky said:
I'm pretty sure lot's of people put there CR500 engines in CR250 frames for a bike that handle better and is lighter. Also, my buddy thinks his new YZ125 with all the race mods can beat my ported, shaved head, DG piped, 60HP YZ490 in a drag race. I think he crazy :coocoo: What do you think?

I think your friend needs to start sharing what he's smoking. :D

redmistcr5

Dec 7, 2004
cr500 v all

ok lads heres my thoughts,firstly i own a cr500/250 hybrid,although the handling is far better than the steel framed 500 the top speed is the same,do not underestimate the modern 125s,eg.a yz passed me one day flat out on tarmark so i gave chase,caught up with him but was strugling to pass him on the 500,the 500 has everything done to it,the only thing i can think off was i was running a 13 tooth on the front and a 51 on the rear,standard settings for the 500 are 14-48,which would have given me 10mph more,the best thing obout the 500 is not the top end mph but how quick it gets there,and that torque mmmmm,anyway as for the guy wanting to do the conversion go for the 97-99 first as its easy,anything there after requires a fair bit of cutting and fabricating,theres nothing wrong with the gen 1 250 frame

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
So Then I should go with the 97-99 CR Chassis then for a conversion?
What is the difference between the 125 and 250 frames of those years? Pros and Cons for a conversion and such. Thanks.

rapanett

Dec 28, 2004
I used to own a 89 CR500 im only 5' 10" 155 lbs and that monster took me for some unexpected rides. But the unexpected wheelies in the top of 5th gear made me sell it. I almost killed myself once racing a friend who had a yzf250 he couldnt hang with me.

Aug 26, 2005
YZ-Red said:
BOTTOM LINE: THE FUN FACTOR!
Ain't that REALLY what it's all about? It damn sure is! It might be a different story if my family's survival was dependent on my winning every race. But it doesn't…I ride for the fun of it!

Basically that sums everything up. When I go to car road racing events, some of the fastest lapping cars in the amateur classes can be various super lightweight, hopped up Miatas or EVOs that can take much more powerful cars such as Corvettes or Vipers in the right hands due to high cornering speeds. But you know what? Who cares? I would rather enjoy a powerful (and hopefully well setup) V-8 car than some stripped out 4 cyl track car with no air conditioning that can clip a few tenths off the bigger car's track time, it's all about having fun.

For me, dirtbiking is for personal amusement, the latest, greatest bike is released every year, but looking back, dirtbikes have been extremely fast since the '80s and are still PLENTY to get your kicks. The key for the dinosaurs is finding the old models with parts still available, bikes with a cult following tend to have parts for many, many years.

MUSCLEHEAD

Aug 6, 2005
I have an 86 kx 500 and love it!!!! It is a monster, but the power is second to none! I have had it in a kinds of situations and once you get used to the weight and horsepower it's unstopable. I am looking for a newer at this time. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom