The Golden Question, Which Bike do I get?

cyonics

Mar 26, 2006
Me and my girlfriend are both considering to start riding. I'm trying to determine what would be acceptable bikes for our size and needs. You will find our basic info below:

Me:
1) I'm 5'11 250pounds :yikes:
2) I can be very agressive, however, just looking to rip up the weekends
3) Woods & Fields w/ friends.
4) I drove a street bike for about 6 months
5) No Racing!
6) I would prefer a professional to do my work (I know jack)
7) No preference (Just the right bike for me)
8) Houston, Tx so I have lots of options
9) $2000 - $3000 MAX used
10) Our goal is to have fun and tear it up on the weekends. We will be riding in the woods and trails around Texas. I'm a pretty big guy so I really need help in determing a bike that will have enough power to get my fat butt around.

My Girlfriend:
1) 5'7 150 pounds
2) She can be VERY agressive, however, I don't want her to kill herself
3) Woods & Fields
4) No Bike experience but a few years of 3 wheeling
5) No Racing!
6) No, professional will complete bike work
7) No preference to model
8) Yes, many options
9) $2000 - $3000 used
10) Our goal is to have fun and tear it up on the weekends. We will be riding in the woods and trails around Texas. Just looking to get out and have some fun riding.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is the question key:
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Goose91

Jan 18, 2006
For no racing, kiss two strokes good-bye. A 4-stroke is definatly the way to go for no racing. You don't have to rebuild the engine, or mix the gas. I weigh about 165 and a 125 is not quite enough motor for me. I am 5'3ish. My brother's CRF 150 is ok, but if you can handle it (I think you can) get a CRF 230 (Honda). I know mine has done very very well. I don't think Suzuki and Kawasaki make anything in the 230-250 size bracket. Yamaha makes 230. I'm not much of a Yamaha fan. That's just personal prefernece though. If you girlfriend can handle a 230 I'd get that for her also. The 150 is 15 pounds lighter, and a few inches shorter, and alot less motor than the 230. If she is on the weak side, she might want a 125 so she can put her feet down easier, and it's much lighter. Though with a 125 she'll have to get a bigger one soon. As I said if you can handle it go with CRF 230 for both of you. Good luck.

Goose

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
I have to disagree. For your size, and budget, your best bang for the buck is going to be in a stroke. A 250 2 stroke, preferably an enduro, but an MX'er will work too with some modifications making it more off road friendly, will be your best bang for the buck. If you go with a 4 stroke, you're going to want to look into a much bigger bike than what Goose is recommending. An XR 400 to 650 would be a good choice in a 4 stroke for you.
For your girlfriend, a KDX 200 is going to be hard to beat given her size and the budget. Otherwise, you're looking at a 250 4 stroke. She could ride an XR 400, but it is somewhat heavy for someone her size to manage, particularly given the fact that women often prefer lighter bikes, due to their generally lower physical strength.

Tyler3386

Jul 25, 2005
A 230 four stroke is too small for a 250 pound guy. You need a 250 two stroke or 400+ four stroke. Your girlfriend would probably be fine with a crf 230 or an xr 250.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
TimberPig said:
I have to disagree. For your size, and budget, your best bang for the buck is going to be in a stroke. A 250 2 stroke, preferably an enduro, but an MX'er will work too with some modifications making it more off road friendly, will be your best bang for the buck. If you go with a 4 stroke, you're going to want to look into a much bigger bike than what Goose is recommending. An XR 400 to 650 would be a good choice in a 4 stroke for you.
For your girlfriend, a KDX 200 is going to be hard to beat given her size and the budget. Otherwise, you're looking at a 250 4 stroke. She could ride an XR 400, but it is somewhat heavy for someone her size to manage, particularly given the fact that women often prefer lighter bikes, due to their generally lower physical strength.

+1

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
TimberPig said:

+2. As another option you may want to look at a CRF230 or a TTR 230 for your girlfriend depending on her strength one of these slightly smaller bikes may be better suited for her than a KDX, especially to learn on. You should take a look at the KDX for yourself, it is more than enough bike for your purposes and you are likely to find one in good condition in your price range.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
TimberPig said:

Make that 3 votes... Another thing to remember is that 4 strokes are generally quite a bit more expensive than 2-strokes.. i say you get a 250 2T and get your girl a kdx200. :nod:

cyonics

Mar 26, 2006
How do I know if a bike is designed for trail or mx? Could someone possibly list the major models or point me to the right place?

What about a YZ250F for me? The reason I ask is there are about 10+ for sale in my area. TIA :cool:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
In Honda CR's and CRF-R's are motocross models

In Yamaha YZ's and YZ-F's are motocross models

In Kawasaki KX's and KXF's are motocross models

In Suzuki RM's and RMZ's are motocross models

In KTM SX's and SX-F's are motocross models

Anything else is an off road model, but there is a big difference between off road models intended for casual trail riding, and ones meant for off road racing. In the size you'd be looking at, most are more performance oriented, but anything below 250 cc's in a 4 stroke off road model is pretty much a casual use/playbike type. Very few 2 stroke off road models are playbikes, tehy are pretty much all off road performance models.

This is leaving out other less common brands, that you probably won't be considering anyhow.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
The best way to learn would probably be to go to each of the 5 major manufacturers websites and look at the bikes under each category. They will list in separate categories their off road/trail models and their Motocross models but as for a quick reference I have listed the main models from each manufacturer below and attached the website links.
http://www.kawasaki.com/
Motocross: KX, KXF Offroad/Trail: KDX, KLX

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/
Motocross: YZ, YZF Offroad/Trail: WR, TTR

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/Motorcycles/Default.aspx
Motocross: RM, RMZ Offroad/Trail: DRZ

http://powersports.honda.com/index.asp?bhcp=1
Motocross: CR, CRF Offroad/Trail: CRF-X, XR

http://www.ktm.com/frameset.asp
Motocross: SX, SXF Offroad/Trail: EXC

These are the major models in each of the categories but keep in mind that it is possible to use a Motocross model offroad/trail as well, it is just a matter of preference. If you want to use a offroad/trail model on the Motocross track you will often need to make some substandtial suspension and engine enhancements to make it competitive and even then you are starting off at a disadvantage on the track.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
You should be VERY careful with those used YZ250F four-strokes for sale. Unless you know the person selling the bikes and unless you are certain of the condition of the engine, you may be buying a grenade that is about to blow.

A four-stroke motocrosser (YZ250F) is a wonderful machine as long as it is properly maintained. If it hasn't been properly maintained, however, the machine could require VERY costly repairs. You don't want to take the plunge into this great sport only to have your experience ruined by a $1000-2000 repair job.

Unless you are well versed in four-stroke technology & maintenance, or unless you are certain the used 4T MXer has no valve/engine problems, you should either get a new 4T or a used 2T (two-stroke). Just my $0.02.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
TimberPig said:

Make that 4 votes. In the long run, a 4 stroke can be a money hog. Very expensive top ends compared to a 2 stroke.

[on a four stroke] You don't have to rebuild the engine
Uhh, I'd hate to buy any used four stroke from you. You do so have to rebuild the engine, just not as often as a two stroke. Two stroke's top ends need to be replaced more often, but are cheaper and easier to do at home (doesn't matter as you said you'd be taking it to a mechanic to do anyways).

I reccomend a KDX200 or 220 for the girl, and a two-stroke 250 for you, my opinions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom