The powervalve governor arm on case is stuck

cr250heap

Jul 1, 2010
I'm about to drop my cylinder on my 90 cr250 and the powervalve flapper on the top of the case won't move. It's frozen in place. If its like the other bike then it should freely move and I need to set it facing forward when I drop the cylinder on. It doesn't look bent or anything. How do I know if its right or wrong?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Properly in place, it moves slightly, doesn't it? A little slop here and there? Improperly in place binds up, or dirty/has issues, doesn't it? Or did I miss something, again? Vintage Bob

cr250heap

Jul 1, 2010
Yes? It moves like 1mm is this normal? it faces to the leftside of case is this right?
So its different than the 87 flapper which freely flaps around.
Also, I'm fitting my 86-88ish cylinder on it I really hope it'll line up right.

Last edited:

cr250heap

Jul 1, 2010
Is the lever arm on this 90 cr250 supposed to be a few mm lower than the older ones? And the washer shim around the flapper thing is maybe pushed down is it supposed to be stuck in there or free like my other one?

It looks like maybe it got pushed down and now it wont turn but a mm and the shim thing is pushed into the groove. Am I right? HELP PLEASE
Today

cr250heap

Jul 1, 2010
I guess what I'm talking about is the cam spindle. And the cam spindle bushing. Does that bushing jam in the hole or does it float there on a 1990 cr250?

cr250heap

Jul 1, 2010
why do these 2 bikes spindle cams look different which ones broken?

If someone could just get me a picture of how a 90 cr 250 spindle cam looks before you set on the cyllinder thatd be great. How far does it raise out of the hole on the case? How far should it turn by your fingers? Why is it different than my other 87 cr250's spindle thing? Which bike is correct or are they both different designs? Should the spindle cam bushing (collar) be freely spinning or be pushed down in and tight to the case?

I want to know this before I drop my cyllinder on without the powervalve being aligned right. Oh and the spindle cam arm on the case moves only 1mm by hand could this be something frozen in there or will it not move until the motors running? Its keeping me from pointing the lever thing forward so I can do this right.

I see now that I have to remove a big flathead bolt on right side of motor to access the cr250 HPP engagement bolt. How do I remove this bolt? I'm soaking it with PB blaster but any attempt with screwdriver or vicegrips just uglies up my case.

Last edited:

cr250heap

Jul 1, 2010
Thanks. I've got a manual for up to year 87. It includes how to do the HPP adjusting. But didn't include the new gimmick for laying the cylinder on. After freaking out yesterday I'm just going to try it how the old one goes and hope it engages. Or isn't broke.

Top Bottom