Thinking about getting a 2008 KTM 530 EXC-R

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I was just wondering. This bike is street legal, but there's no key to start it right. So I can't necessarily take it to a grocery store without the risk of it being stolen. Sure I can get insurance on it cause it's street legal but do you guys have some sort of locks that you could put on the gas off/on switch?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
How does this bike ride at 65mph? Is there a lot of vibration? Is it recommended that you take the front and rear tire rim locks off to reduce vibration?

crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
ktm exc-r

i have a 2002 yz 426f that is street legal. How much does your bike weigh? I am thinking of upgrading but i want a lighter bike.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I rode a converted street legal 525 on the highway for a bit, with stock gearing. It was torture at 55MPH, not to mention going faster. I understand that the street legal versions have different gearing. It needs it!

In any case, most big bore 4 strokes do quite well at highway speeds when the chain and sprokets are at the extreme. Huge front sproket, tiny rear one. Whether you can stand this or some version of this on the trail is another story.

Chris

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
YEah you got to remeber that it still is a dirt bike.....if you want something nice on the highway maybe look into something else. It is perfect for riding to the trail and quick trips into town, but proabably not the bike for you if you are doing alot of street riding.

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
So I got the 2008 530 EXC-R, it's awesome. Compared to my 2006 KX-250 it shifts soo much smoother. Plus, I put a stabilizer on it and the dealer jetted it for me. I'm soo happy with it. The only thing is, I was riding it today for the first time, and I was stuck at a light for a min and all of the sudden white smoke came out. I turned it off, waited a few mins then restarted it and it was fine. I've read reports that some of the 2008 530s have this problem with white smoke and that they need to be serviced. Anyone heard of this?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Dood, today I noticed some oil on the engine block. I checked it and it seems to be leaking where the engine and the exhaust pipe meet. Is this normal? I'm gonna call them on Tuesday.

3TV

Jul 2, 2006
I thought I would clear up a few misconceptions that have been stated.

First, the 530 EXC R has an ignition switch with a key, and there is a "lock" setting that locks the steering stem.

Second, OEM gearing on the 530 EXC R is tall, and stock top speed is ~115 mph. I changed gearing on mine from the stock 14/45 to lower 14/49, and it still cruises down the highway at 70 mph with no problem. I don't even shift into high gear unless I'm going to be maintaining a top speed over 60 mph and I want to be able to lug the motor a little bit.

The 530 does fine on the highway, but you do need to realize that it is a dirt bike that is just barely street legal. It is not a street bike that is just barely capable of being ridden on dirt, like most other dual sport bikes have been for years. It has full on knobbie dirt tires that bounce at highway speed, just like any other dirt bike I have ever ridden on black top. It has a fair amount of engine vibration that can make your hands go numb after 50+ highway miles. The seat is a typical dirt bike seat, and is firm enough to give you a case of monkey butt after a long highway ride.

What the 530 does well at though, is in its dirt performance. Power is respectable, and overall about the same as the 525s were. There is more on the very bottom, but the mid-range hit isn't quite as much fun as the 525 was. Suspension is better than the 525 by quite a good margin. All I have done to mine is change the rear spring from the stock 72 N/mm spring to a 76 N/mm rear spring, and dial in four more clicks rebound damping, and two less clicks high speed compression damping on the shock, and two more clicks rebound damping, and two clicks less compression damping on the forks, and I am completely satisfied with the stock suspension. I spent last Saturday riding some nearby motorcycle desert race courses that were full of whoops and jumps. For a street legal bike the KTM 530 is amazing off-road. Cornering is also much better than with past KTMs, and the front tire sticks like glue in flat or off camber turns. High speed stability is better as well, with no headshake.

Overall the 530 is a great bike. It does better on road than any other true dirt bike I have owned, but you definitely still know you're riding a dirt bike (which is a good thing once you're in the dirt again).

3TV

Top Bottom