Thinking of buying a bike but not sure which one

sly09

Jun 7, 2009
Hi! Well I just joined the forums hoping to get a good answer on what bike I should get.

I'm around 5,8'' and 135 lbs. As you can tell from what I weight and my height i'm not that big. I'm not really into hitting jumps and all that fun stuff. I just like trail riding and I love playing in the mud/ water. (As long as it's not clay. That stuff doesn't come off easy) I used to own a 250cc giovanni dirt bike. It was a pretty good bike. Not sure why I actually sold it :S I don't have any plans for racing and chances are that I never will. As for bike work it depends. If I need to change to oil, bearings, tighten the chain etc... I can do easy things like that. I wouldn't be able to change my own pistons.
So I don't really want a 2 stroke.(I heard you need to do work on the engine every summer because you need to ride them hard. Keep it open all the time.) As for dealers around me I have a yamaha and kawasaki not too far from me. And around 1h30min drive to a honda dealer. I plan on spending 4k-5k. MAYBE but probably not 6k. I do not live in California. (Canada :cool: ) I'm 16 and going to be 17 in a month. I've been driving quads for a while now. Not sure if that helps.

I was looking at yamaha's tt-r 230. But read somewhere that it's front suspension isn't very good :think:

I'm pretty sure that kawasaki's klx 140 would be to small? The klx 250f would definitely be to fast. Well pretty sure it would.

Any idea's will be helpful. As long as somebody points me in the right direction.

Jun 5, 2008
the 140 wouldnt be bad you'd be flat footed but you're probably going to want more power soon, so i'd suggest you get the klx250 or a crf230, i haven't ridden the klx but the crf230 is a great trail bike with a lot of power! also the seat height on the crf is 34.1 so you might not be flat footed but you won't be on the tip of your toes

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
a super sherpa also has a low seat height... but i dont know how good of bikes they are

sly09

Jun 7, 2009
I'm thinking of buying a 125 stroke. Pretty much anything from 1998 and later. The suspension should be somewhat good and they should be in my price range.

I really like this one:

sudbury.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-2001-KTM-SX-125cc-two-stroke-Trades-Welcome-W0QQAdIdZ134312949

It's a 2001 KTM SX 125. Is the price right? I'm not sure if that bike would be good for trail riding.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
A TTR 230 is a VERY nice play bike. Even has an electric leg for those times when you're a bit worn out. Sure the suspension isn't the greatest, but for a few hundred dollars you could tune it up quite a bit.

Don't overlook the KDX 200 or 220. Those are fantastic play bikes as well.

Any MX bike, 2 or 4 stroke will require more maintenance.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
gwcrim said:
A TTR 230 is a VERY nice play bike. Even has an electric leg for those times when you're a bit worn out. Sure the suspension isn't the greatest, but for a few hundred dollars you could tune it up quite a bit.

Don't overlook the KDX 200 or 220. Those are fantastic play bikes as well.

Any MX bike, 2 or 4 stroke will require more maintenance.

Electric leg :)

hammer280

Jun 29, 2009
Idk if you're considering Suzukis but my friend has a rm 85, it runs very nicely and it hasn't required really any maintenance. It's very powerful for like 3,100$ but it's a 2 stroke and I didn't know whether or not you're looking for 2 strokes cine every bike you named was a 4 stroke.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Go with the CRF230. For a 135 pound rider, it should have plenty of power. A 125 2t is generally a poor choice for a trail bike as they are high reving and dont have alot of low end torque.

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
sorry for this but, wow I'm 15, 5'10 and 130 pounds, and ride a 1992 kx500, i wouldnt reccomend it for a trail bike, so I would recomend getting like a 125 two stroke, or a 250 four stroke, I love the honda reliability, and the suspension on kawasaki's, the power of the KTM's are amazing, but I feel that the suspension is like riding a board on wheels. I've never ridden suzuki or yamaha, but from my experiences I would recomend a honda.

Top Bottom