el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
has any one tried the thumper racing 435 kit for a dr? my dr is sidelined w/ some troubles and i was pondering sending it to them and have it put in. thanks in advance

------------------
'91 dr 350
smb_racing co-founder

sKiNNyWhEaT

Mar 30, 2001
just do it and be happy!
smile.gif
nuthin better than a big bore kit and fresh rings!. just be shure that rod can take it! my xr430 just snapped the rod after 12+ rides. effectivly destroying the whole engine!!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I recently did a 435 Thumper kit on a 91'DR, definatly pumped new life into it. A couple of "must do's". 1) Replace Airbox, the stock one is highly restrictive. The proper jets are included in the kit.
2) Replace header pipe and silencer, (FMF)

3) Update the suspension.

Note; the weak link is the kickstarter, with the added compression, you must be careful with the kickstarter,(broken cases & gears).
The thumper kit will breath new life into that Zuk, with out putting added strain on the valve train,(which the DR's dont hold up to) Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Shaw520 (edited 04-03-2001).]

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
thanks
maybe i should have already told u that i have an thumper racing oversized header pipe and a fmf megamax spark arrestor. i had no idea about the air box though. do u have any sugestions on what kind of air box, i know thumper racing puts a k&n air filter in w/ the kit. thanks

------------------
'91 dr 350
smb_racing co-founder

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
ElPrez, You can bore 1" holes in the stock air box, then buy the screened plugs that fit, that will help some, but the snorkel that runs around the shock is still restrictive. The airbox that is mentioned by Flyin Hawian is costly but works great. The hder and pipe you are currently running is perfect for the big bore kit.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Forgot to mention; The stock clutch springs will need beefing to stand up to the new found HP. Stock XR600 springs work perfectly.
If your doing the assembly yourself, send the cylinder to thumper, they'll bore it to proper specs. They'll ship it, and the kit back to you for assembly. Good Luck!

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Actually after you replace the goofy stock handlebars and stiffen up the suspension, the older DR is a pretty decent off-road weapon. We can't all have the most up to date equipment and the fun factor is not diminished a bit.

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
buckholz,
I believe you misunderstood el presidente's question, he is unable to keeps his bike running as a 350 due to the fact that it's toast, the engine needs bored and reworked, some have said that it would be good to punch it out to a 400 and leave it at that, but for the money it costs he thinks the 435 would be a better deal. I personally think he should save up and get a new bike. I personally don't like the yamaha lineup but whatever works I guess.

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (big bore kit, A-Loop suspension, FMF pipe)

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
well i have renthal handle bars, thumper racing over sized header pipe, and a fmf mega max spark arrestor. and as my compadre was sayin', my bike is pretty bad off right now, and i am lookin at atleast $1000 in damage, so i figure $679 for the 435 kit and $300 more for valves, cam shaft, and timing chain i am getting better bike out of the deal. thanks for all the info.

------------------
'91 dr 350
smb_racing co-founder

Top Bottom