Tight Woods Single-Track

• Give me my 4-stroke... Burleson never had anything on me!

Votes: 43 19.7%
  • Give me my 2-stroke... I'll show that Lafferty guy!

Votes: 170 78.0%
  • I'm a greenie. Humans are evil and destructive, I know best. See my crown of many jewels?

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i vote two strokes...
1- i´m more of a two stroke lover
2- when i ride with my brother he allways ride the cr80 and me the xt600 and i´m much more experienced than he. he just have 2 or 3 hours at total on a dirt bike... and allways we get on a very slow place he just ride faster than me...
the xt600 have tree times the wheight of the cr80 but have a perfect power delivery not like the cr80 that is a light switch, no power or front wheel on the air...
ok, maybe the bikes are not even comparable but that´s how i feel it... :coocoo: :blah:

Apr 22, 2009
Kawi4life said:
I just can't seem to ever get it in my head that these little single cylinder 2-strokes put out all that much pollution. Especially when you compare to big diesel 18 wheelers when they get on the gas and there's huge clouds of black smoke pouring out on every single roadway across the US, everyday (and night) of the week. And it's not like dirtbikes are commuter vehicles on the road and running all the time everyday of the week. What does the average person do? Ride their dirtbike a few hours on the weekends and sometimes let them sit for weeks without riding? Yes there's people that do ride almost everyday, but I still think the majority of bike owners are more of a once a week(end) rider. I still can't see pollution output of dirtbikes amounting to anything significant.

Not to mention that the US has all of these enviormental regs because were developed while China and Russia and all the other idiots of the world can do whatever they want... Life expectancy of some cities in China and Russia are just 40 years b/c of the pollution, but yet their governments dont care as long as they can keep out doing us.

wictor

Jun 10, 2009
Maybe an older thread but i have to say that i preffer a 2 stroke over any 4 stroke... and with a new KTM 2t e-start i just can't find a reason to buy a new 4 stroke.

I've ridden my neighbours 07 EXC 450 for 4 hours in woods and than 2 weeks later i've rode 09 EXC 250 for 10 minutes on KTM test track. I was way more impressed with a new 2 stroke in 10 minutes than with 4 hours on 4 stroke.
2 stroke is so much more controlable, lighter, nimble, faster turning and i seem to do everything a little bit better on a 2 stroke than i could do on big 4 stroke.
Riding a 4 stroke was also much more tiring than 2 stroke. 250 was such a smooth, controlable bike and 450 was oposite, angry and agressive bike that want's to lift the front end when i don't want it up. ONLY plus i would give to a 4 stroke in woods over 2 stroke is that i'm able to lift the front end faster if a log, stone or some other obstacle suddenly appears in front of me.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
I currently prefer my extremely low geared 450 & it's large rev range, Flip a coin & I'll ride either. Ol'89r has advised me how to avoid roaching the head with some better valves & his expertise. Best Regards, P.C.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I'm currently on a smoker, mailnly due to the fact that I like the weight, but I'd ride a 4 banger KTM in the woods as well, and have done so before for a few years. I suppose for me its all about what's in my garage, I'll adjust/adapt.

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
Kawi4life said:
I just can't seem to ever get it in my head that these little single cylinder 2-strokes put out all that much pollution. Especially when you compare to big diesel 18 wheelers when they get on the gas and there's huge clouds of black smoke pouring out on every single roadway across the US, everyday (and night) of the week. And it's not like dirtbikes are commuter vehicles on the road and running all the time everyday of the week. What does the average person do? Ride their dirtbike a few hours on the weekends and sometimes let them sit for weeks without riding? Yes there's people that do ride almost everyday, but I still think the majority of bike owners are more of a once a week(end) rider. I still can't see pollution output of dirtbikes amounting to anything significant.

I am still 2 stroke all the way & a green one at that! Most of the guys racing provincials up here in Ontario are on 2 strokes.

In relation to the pollution, some one once raised the point that you need to compare pollution/power. Don't forget 450's have almost twice the displacement of the 250 2-strokes. At equal displacement the 4-strokes may put out a bit less at the tailpipe but it is even negligible unless they run a catalytic. When comparing different displacements the 2-T should put out less. (Use synthetic oil mixed at 50 or 100:1)

siege

Aug 2, 2010
DCMan said:
I am still 2 stroke all the way & a green one at that! Most of the guys racing provincials up here in Ontario are on 2 strokes.

In relation to the pollution, some one once raised the point that you need to compare pollution/power. Don't forget 450's have almost twice the displacement of the 250 2-strokes. At equal displacement the 4-strokes may put out a bit less at the tailpipe but it is even negligible unless they run a catalytic. When comparing different displacements the 2-T should put out less. (Use synthetic oil mixed at 50 or 100:1)
this was a very good point :cool:

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
ive owned both and im currently on a 4 stroke but like most things there are good points for each and the bad. i only wish i could have the best of the both

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Tough decision. I'm riding a 4T, so that is how I voted, but the light weight of a 2T would be nice. Conditions would play a part too. IMHO

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Wow, four years now. And yes, I'm still 2-Smokin'. :cool: :ride: :cool:

Top Bottom