Mar 28, 2009
well i have been increasing my jump heights as i am getting better, i was out with my friend and i started jumping high enough to bottom my suspension out. should i tighten it? or just not worry.
also if i do need to tighten it, how do you do that? i have no idea for the front but the rear looks easy enough.
thanks.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Do a quick search, grab a tape, and check the sag. Your weight in gear and the current spring rate (not quite as easy to get but sometimes it can be found on the spring) could also be considered useful information.

If you are thinking about adjusting the shock preload to prevent bottoming, it is not the best way as it will affect the way the bike rides everywhere on the track.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Measure the distance from the rear axle to the seat bolt, with the rear wheel off the ground. Gear up and get on it, have someone measure it again. Should be 4 inches of difference. Adjust it if it is not. Then measure the static sag, the bike just standing alone under its on weight. I do not recall that number, but it will tell you if you have the correct spring. Some manuals give you a measurement of the adjusted spring. You really need a manual, there is a lot of model specific , priceless information. An oem shop manual is the best, a clymers works pretty much. Do not get the parts micro fiche cds, rip off.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
At the bottom of the forks turn the compression adjusters (keep both forks matched) a click or two in clockwise. Adjust a click in, then ride the same section where you bottomed. Do the same with the shock compression (top-center adjuster). Keep the front and rear of the bike balanced, making small changes until you are happy.
Do not make changes more than two clicks at a time or you will end up on your head.

Top Bottom