medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
There I've said it. I'm a big chicken when it comes to riding my crf150r. I love that bike and want to be the rider it deserves but I just don't feel I control it. Lowering it helped alot. I'm pretty sure my attitude needs to be adjusted. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Where do you not feel comfortable at? MX or trails? Chicken sometimes means you can ride another day. I call it smart when my hand mysteriously chops the throttle on the face of a big jump. Vintage Bob

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Are you a chicken in general - as in it stops you from riding completely?

I have things that I'm scared of - mostly going down hills. I've learned that if you start off slow and easy on what you're scared of and gradually work your way up, it helps a lot.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Being chicken doesn't keep me from riding, it keeps me from progressing. I want to be able to ride it like my little ttr125. That one I've ridden on mx and supercross tracks, trails, woods, the UP, indoor tracks, enduros and one really, really, slow harescramble. Well, all my riding is slow anyway. Squeaky, I've got 2 small singles I'll keep working at but all I see at the sandy end of my track is me falling. So it's mental.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Find somebody on your level to ride with. You will find yourselves pushing each other. Each of you will have skills to teach the other, and you will progress together over time.

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I was the same way at first at the age of 14 when I just started to ride. The first time I went to the track and saw the jumps I was scared out of my mind. It took me a little while to get my speed up to keep up with others on the track. Once I done that I would always try to chase someone that was faster then me on the track and got me to where I have no problem keeping up with the fast ones even tho they ride everyday of there life.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
A simple figure 8 track, in deep sand. When you get tired, go the other direction. And try not putting your feet down for as long as you can? A couple of days you should be pushing up some big berms.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
That simple figure 8 in deep sand is exactly what I need to do. I rode the Lawton enduro yesterday and every sandy spot gave me trouble. And there's a sandpit just down the road I can use so no excuses for me. Thanks. If anyone knows a slow,chicken rider in SW Michigan, send them my way.

slo3933

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 2, 2006
medwaste - where is SW MI are you? I ride a few times a week (end up at Cedar Creek quite often - lots of sand) and I guess I'm not a chicken but I'm just getting back into riding dirt (and I'm finally realizing I don't heal as quickly as I used to :)) . I was also at the Lawton FES, which was my first enduro, definitely fun and definitely lots of sand!!

Stacey

slo3933

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 2, 2006
Unfortunately no, I have to work this weekend, I wish I could!! I will be doing the Log Road HS on 8/1 - been a long time since I've done an HS, not sure my fitness level is up to snuff :)

Top Bottom