CSL

Oct 30, 2000
I was seriously thinking about getting a trials bike, but after reading a bit here, I'm back on the fence and leaning slightly away from it.

Is the only point of a trials bike to compete? I thought it was about getting out there and riding stuff that would otherwise be deemed near impossible on a dirt bike. I have no competitive spirit whatsoever, but the thought of riding obstacles in Utah and Colorado is always on my mind (and, more importantly, the heavy weight of my DRZ400 is often on it side)

Is competing in trials events the ONLY lure, or will I be able to find someone to just go out and ride with?

MacDaddy

Oct 27, 2000
I got back into riding after 30 years with a KTM 200EXE. Love the bike, love to ride it. The problem is finding a place to ride. I was riding once week until they closed down my riding area.
Bought a Montesa. Now I ride 4 times a week in the woods behind the house. No, I'm not supposed to, but no one knows I'm there. You can practice trials in your driveway. You compete against yourself, trying to master techniques. I haven't entered an event yet but I have attended a few. Totally relaxed, low key, $5 entry fee, lotsa laughter ....
I'm having a blast!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have yet to compete but have a blast every time I ride be it with friends or alone, at home or at a riding area. If you don't like getting wet you can practice in the garage. If you want to improve basic skills you can do that in your yard even if ya' live in a small lot subdivision without getting the neighbors mad. Trials bikes are awesome for going at the "impossible" ledge or hill or.... They improve your off road skills as well. So no it's not all about riding sections on the loop, it's about fun however you choose to have it. :thumb:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Will, I'm so happy to see your name in this forum!
I'm looking for a trial bike also right now.
I want to get a trial bike, because I can probably practice riding it in my back yard. That means I don't have to drive 1 hour to get to our closest OHV park, or 2.5 hours to our closest riding area in forest.
I also thought it would be cool to take a trial bike to Moab one day! (Yeah, one day after Buddy's collarbone healed....) I believe there are many nice places to ride trials bike in your area. So I think you can easily find someone to go out with to have fun ride on trials bikes.
I would enter events to get to know people. I have a couple of friends who are already riding both trials and Enduro, so I would like to get together with them whenever I can.
Anyway, I think your trailer is big enough to carry 2 more bikes.... ;)
Mini

Last edited:

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Will,
There are a TON of people who ride the local trials who don't really care if they win or lose but they like to come because then someone else has taken the time to set up some cool and challenging sections. Most of the lower class riders just laugh and have a great time. Ben and I love to go out at night and just ride around trying to go over big logs or rocks, etc. . .

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Thanks for the encouragement y'all. Either I'm easily swayed or I wasn't leaning that far to the NOT. ;)

Will start further research and shopping after this weekend. Apex has a Beta Rev 3 on the floor and also have a Montesa in there fairly often. The quality of workmanship looks pretty good and it seems to fit my 6'1" frame pretty well.

Thanks again! Maybe next time I ride the Five Miles of Hell I can do it on a bike that's better suited for it! :aj:

Will

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
That's the attitude Will! :thumb:

I don't ride many competitions, but put quite a few hours on my little bike. Your riding area doesn't need to be nearly as big as with "big bikes" and nobody ever seems to complain after they see how slow you are going and how little impact you make on the environment (noise or flora).

That said, club trials are great! If you have never been to one, it's worth dropping by one. I have raced for many years, from roadracing, to MX, Cross country, Watercraft (JetSkis), sailboards and bicycles, and nothing was like a club trials event. I think it has part to do with the lack of "head to head" racing....it's just you against the terrain. You rarely know, or care what the other guy's score is, your only trying to beat your own. It means there is little of that "competitiveness" that comes with most competitions...now there's a bit of a twisted statement :think:

GO for it, you'll never look back! :thumb:

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Will,

My friend has a 02 Montesa for Sale (Kerrie Brokaw) that is in excellent shape and they have done nothing to the bikes except graphics. It would save you quite a bit of money. If you are interested give me a call and I can give you here number.

Also all the trails bikes are like the same size. Geoff Aaron is 6'3 and very large and he rides the GG. I think you would like any of the bikes as they all are good.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I would say that the best thing about competing in club trials is the atmosphere and attitude of people at events. As JTT says theres more an emphasis on getting around each section rather than competing for the sake of it. Most trials riders are friendly and laid back, and will generally help you to get into the sport. The other good reasons for going to club trials are that the person setting out the trial should be challenging your skills, which is hard to replicate when out play riding, especially turning on off-cambers etc.
If you are going to get a bike then I'd highly recommend turning up to a local club trial and having a go - it will be fun.

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by Girlrider
Will,

My friend has a 02 Montesa for Sale (Kerrie Brokaw) that is in excellent shape and they have done nothing to the bikes except graphics. It would save you quite a bit of money. If you are interested give me a call and I can give you here number.

Also all the trails bikes are like the same size. Geoff Aaron is 6'3 and very large and he rides the GG. I think you would like any of the bikes as they all are good.

Hey Nicole, I appreciate that info. I may take you up on it. The thing right now though is, we've had Jen's Ducati up for sale for months now with barely even a nibble, even with the price almost lowered to trade-in value. We may have no choice but to trade it in at the dealer, in which case it's the perfect opportunity to get the trials thing going.

We'll see.

Wayne and others, thanks for all the comments. I hope I didn't sound like I was dissin the sport. I'm not. The people that compete can do some truly amazing stuff! It's just not why I would buy a trials bike and I was wondering if others out there just got into it for the riding.

Thanks for all the great comments! :thumb:

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Kerrie's number is 719-635-3267. Give her a call and see what she has to say. There is a trial on June 8th near where that Hayman fire started and maybe you can come. Our club riders are very cool and very nice. I like the atmosphere of trials much better than enduro.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Sorry Will I wasn't trying to say that you didn't like the sport, but at the same time I realise its not everyones thing. I guess you have to want to give compettitive trials a go to begin with anyway, before it would interest you very much.

As far as trail riding goes they are definitely fun bikes to play around on. The only real problems are fuel range, and suspension design - they are really not designed to go very far or fast. The positives are that you can have plenty of fun in a relatively small area, without annoying too many people. All you need it a couple of logs, some rocks, a bank and a creek bed and you're set :)

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Will,

The best thing about Trials competition is it's about competing with yourself. To me it's the closest thing to golf on a motorcycle. You are trying to do your best on the course and rarely know how the competition is doing until you're done. Most of the people at the modern and vintage events I go to would loan you their bike to ride if you break. When walking the sections you have time to talk. I went to the AHRMA National in Marion, IL last month and while waiting to ride sections met really nice people from TN, MI, TX and OH. Definately go to some events before you decide they are not for you. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Tom

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
CSL, given your ability to smash GS ADVs, I'd steer clear of a trials bike if I were you. Same goes for that red-headed assistant of yours.

To add to your list of steer-clear of things, add Patman's advice to the list - I learned him how to ride trials.

CU at Denny's Sat AM. Leo.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by TexKDX
To add to your list of steer-clear of things, add Patman's advice to the list - I learned him how to ride trials.
:moon:

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by TexKDX
CSL, given your ability to smash GS ADVs...

CU at Denny's Sat AM. Leo.

I'll second Patman's reply...

:moon: :moon: :laugh:

See you in the am! :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom