_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Haha, I was wondering how position of the housing would effect throw? :nener:

Bob, my DRZ has one of those 3/4 turn throttles. ;) You gotta regrip for WOT, lol.....or lean off the right side. The carb also has a diaphram slide. :fft: The FCR carb and CRF throttle are on my list!

Apr 30, 2007
Grips are on - not safety wired yet, but there was a funny story involved.

My mom has moved in due to knee surgery, and this involved her bringing stuff along. I hadn't put the grips on because I don't own any hairspray, and I haven't had the chance to buy any (I'm cheap like that too I guess...). So I asked if I could borrow some of her hairspray. It was sitting quite handily on the counter.

"You don't use hairspray." "Ah...no. It's for the dirtbike."

"...Your dirtbike doesn't have any hair." "No...it's to put the grips on."

"Can't you use glue or something sticky?" "Ah...hairspray is sticky."

"Why would you use hairspray on a dirtbike!?!"

Doh.

Apr 30, 2007
Tonight has me a little frustrated with the project thus far. Mostly due to funding issues of course. It would seem that the more I take apart, the more I find that is entirely wrecked.

I called up a local bike shop to see if they'd be able to true my rear wheel. I figured that I would send along a handful of new spokes, and hopefully have a smaller bill. They used to do motorcycle wheels, and I had been advised that it'd be just as well done without hurting my pocketbook so badly.

Tonight I tackled the removal of the rear wheel. Not supposed to be too tough right (eh for you Canadian readers)?

I grabbed a wrench, checked to be sure of the direction I was supposed to turn, then gave an almighty pull on the axle nut. To my pleasant surprise, it came with ease, and began to turn. Except that I realized very shortly thereafter that the entire axle was just spinning with the nut thanks to the trashed axle block.

[Tag for picture]

My first thoughts were to try jam something in the axle to keep it from turning just enough to get the nut loose. A quick search produced nothing that could possibly work, and I really couldn't think of anything that would do that trick well, so I moved on to the next option. The mashed out spots on the chain adjuster block looked like they might just have enough room to allow the tips of a wrench to slide in. Maybe, just maybe I could get a wrench in to hold it so I could get the sucker off.

Nothing fit.

Then, I remembered something fairly important (more like a derdader moment had been happening). I turned the nut so as to get the flat ends of the bolt to line up with the swingarm. Now any gigantic wrench would fit perfectly! Now all I needed was a gigantic wrench. That actually took about three seconds to find, beings as the thing is about as long as my leg, and was lying handily in plain sight on a nearby shelf. Actually...I had kinda whacked my head on it while I was looking for something else.

It worked awesome.

[Tag for pictures]

Then I saw the carnage.

[more pictures]

The axle and nut are prettymuch junk. There are no threads left in the nut, just shrapnel and lines where threads used to be (no, I didn't do it). The axle has a gigantic gouge in the threads, which are also nearly non-existant.

I got some help in pounding the poor disaster axle out. It was rough looking. We figured we'd pop off the tire, but it's so stiff that we'll have to wait until there are nicer tools to help with that project. It may be that I need a new rear hub since things are that rusty.

Add to the list:

-Rear Axle
-Rear Axle nut
-Rear wheel bearings, spacers/bushing thingers.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Welcome to your first ragged out race bike. How far do you plan on going into this thing?

Apr 30, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Welcome to your first ragged out race bike. How far do you plan on going into this thing?

This is ragged out race bike #2. You'd think that I'd learn! :nener:

Apr 30, 2007
Just sounding things out, and throwing ideas around, going the cheapest route possible (well...adding in about 400 bucks to have the suspension dialed in by professionals), I will have 2,300 into the bike by the time all is said and done, if not 2,500.

Given, I've still seen a few of these going on craigslist in mint condition for 2,500, so there's a possibility I'm not as nuts as I seem?

Apr 30, 2007
No updates for about two and a half weeks or so. I started driving tractor for sugar beet harvest, and it's some long hours during that graveyard shift, especially since I've had to pull a few doubles. Good news is that despite the sleep deprivation, I'll be earning some good funds to put towards this project.

Apr 30, 2007
Well...a month later, I finally had time to pick up a few bits and pieces. A bolt kit, tire irons, and some gas line. I like shopping for those sorts of things :)

Apr 30, 2007
So I've spent the past couple months just tinkering, cleaning, fixing, replacing the little bits and pieces...Then I hit a slow spot.

And...SOLD!!!

I put out an ad for the bike just to see what I could get, figured I would part out a few bits and pieces, and then throw the rest up on fleabay. In fact, I figured I could make quite a bit of money up on it.

I had a few people call and offer me 200 bucks for the whole rig (Ha! No.) and a jagillion texts, and a few no-shows. Then, I replied to one email asking for more specific details and pictures. I gave the guy everything he asked for, and gave him all the information I knew on it. Even the really bad bits and took photos of that to send to him.

I couldn't believe it when he said "I'll take it."

He asked if I would deliver it if he reimbursed me for my gas and time. I was glad to do so, since he only lived an hour away, and I kinda knew the location fairly well. I got really really close to what I had put into it, AND a hundred bucks just for the delivery, even though I offered to take less since my car does okay on gas mileage.

I arrived, and the cash was in my hand before I made it all the way out of my car. I took a half second to verify that it wasn't monopoly money, and by that time, they had it off the trailer and rolling towards their garage. I handed off the pipe and engine box, and in less than about two minutes, I shaken hands and was headed back home.

I'll miss working on it, but the cash will go into the customization (not repair!!!) of the new one. Pretty sweet!

Apr 30, 2007
So...

Yesterday I bit the huge bullet. Factory backing had a sale on pre-printed number plates. For the first time ever (despite having four years of racing under my belt now) I ordered them. I feel like such a high baller (or something?)!!!!

Erm...here's what it looks like with the black plastics...I CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE IT!!!!

181683_1811971214956_1110271946_32154563_1113773_n.jpg

Anyone have tips regarding seat shaving?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We've shaved the seat on three of my bikes now.

Remove seat cover (duh), draw a line of where you want. Mine we didn't take a lot off the part by the tank, just a smidge and slowly trimmed it down and all the way back with a very large knife. Reinstalled seat cover. I will take a pic of my seats tomorrow and put them on my facebook. I'm going to be lazy and just do mobile uploads. Just to see that it doesn't look too bad.

Apr 30, 2007
I figure the current seat cover won't look very nice at all (half the Honda logo will be missing?).

Apr 30, 2007
It's a 2001.

I found a guy on ebay that sells the seat foams that are already shaved. The problem is that they are 40 bucks for *just* the foam.

Top Bottom