medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I am not a mechanic. People often ask to borrow tools at the track and I would like to have the basics with me for them. What tools should I have for on sight repairs?

Apr 30, 2007
This is a good thread!

This totally depends on how much you'd like to spend. You can go to fail-wal-mart and pick up some really crappy stuff that can, and usually does, wreck stuff. You might spend 20 to 50 bucks.

Or...do the smart thing and wait till black Friday or fathers day to do your shopping. Sears or your local tool dealers will have spectacular sales on craftsman tool sets, which offer a really really good bang for your buck.

I specifically have their 154 piece mechanic set, and it has been perfect with a couple additions. It was on sale for over 50% off, so I think it was about 60 or 70$

I added the following:
-needle nose pliers
- spark plug wrench (I think the size is 13/16?)
- fairly large adjustable wrench
- a 22mm socket since it did not come in my set and there are two critical bolts that size on my 250
- medium to large size flat head screwdriver
- medium Phillips screwdriver
- two kinda cheap tire changing tools (which a large flat screwdriver can do, but they usually have sharpish corners and are likely to scratch rims and poke holes in tubes).
- hammer
- big metric hex wrench (10mm I think that didn't come in my set.)

If you want to go really really simple, Since most bikes Have metric sized bolts etc, you can start buy buying this list that will be quite helpful if someone is in a pinch.

- 8, 10, 12, 15, 17 mm size wrenches
- med to large sized adjustable wrench
- screwdrivers listed above
- spark plug wrench listed above
- needle nose pliers

Top Bottom