cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
On the way to our ride today somehow my tie down came loose and off the trailer went my 250 exc. Had it for three weeks. The initial inspection revealed damage to the bars, clutch and braker lever, grips, kill switch, throttle body, foot pegs, seat cover, and rear fender. Guess it could have been much, much worse. I hope to inspect the frame and other components tonight. Two Questions -- 1) Any paticular area of the bike that should be inspected and 2) are there any online shops you would recommend for KTM parts?

Hope to be back out in a couple weeks.

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
Just a suggestion, use carabeaners(sp?) on the tiedowns instead of the hooks. Check your rads, if it hit on the shrouds could have tweeked one. Hope there is not too much damage.

------------------
“ If we weren’t all crazy we would go insane” Jimmy Buffett
'99 KTM 380sx

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Wow! Sorry to hear the news. Sorry about your bike. Your fortunate in one way, it could have been much worse like causing an accident.

I use the ratch type tie downs, the other type are more prone to coming loose. Some tie-down packages warn "Not for use as motorcycle tie-down". The problem is some rely on tension to assist the clamping force. Unless these are under constant tension, they can loosen up.

I had my KTM 250 EXE on on a hitch mounted carrier. One tie-dow came loose and the bike fell,
redface.gif
fortunately toward my vehicle. If it fell the other way, it would not have been pretty.

regards

[This message has been edited by woodchuck (edited 03-24-2001).]

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Bummer!!

I think you came on board after my similar posting -- but last year my trailer turned upside down and I dragged my new XR400 for a quarter-mile down a mountain road. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! Try and remember, like I did, to make a point, now that you've been given lemons, to make lemonade. For me that meant a neat seat cover and graphics kit. Something to individualize your bike. Good luck.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
If you've more than one bike on the trailer, tie the bars together, so that way the bike will go inside the trailer not over the side.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune however.

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
Seems that the biggest problem will be the clutch lever assembly. The lever, perch, resevoir, etc are ok but the clamp is broke. If you are familiar with this unit, it is one piece. The clamp has a pin on one side and the bolt on the other. If I could get the pin out I could possibly buy (or make) another clamp. Anyone ever tried to remove this pin? Any idea what the price may be for a whole new unit?

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
It may be less expensive to replace the unit with a universal hydraulic unit from HEBO. The HEBO units come on GAS GASs and have a very light pull. Search other posts, there was one a few weeks back were a KTM rider broke his clutch mc or perch and went to the HEBO unit and was very please, to say the least.

regards,
the WoodChuck

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Did you call your insurance agency? Most car polocies also cover anything you're towing. It's worth looking into. Nice bike like that I would pay a few bucks a year to have it insured against anything.

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
Definatly get it insured. I pay 180$ a year to insure mine....but if it so much as falls over on it's side it is paid for. It's nice to know I'm covered if I launch it into some big rocks or trees.

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Take a small drift anp push the pin out of the perch clamp. I think you can get a after market clamp, I had to make one for my 380 down at Jawbone after hitting one of them dam spiked trees. I used a pice of 1/8th alum. that was in november still working

Sep 8, 2000
Man,That is a shame, I would pull all the plastic and check the frame out real good look for any cracks in the paint,That is one way to check for a bent frame. Good luck with your bike I feel your pain.

------------------
99 YZ400
00 TTR125L
Why ping when you can thunder

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I have nothing to add except my heart felt condolences.

Good luck and may your repairs be swift and unburdensome.

Thanks for making others maybe take a second look now at how they secure thier bikes down.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Wow thats weird, the same thing happened to me today only my situation wasn't nearly as bad. Mt tie down loosened up and my bike fell over, luckily it was only in the back of my truck. No damage that I could tell. Sure makes you mad though!!!

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
cphillips, if I understand correctly you broke the small side of the clamp on the clutch. I have done this(broken hand too but I won't get into that). Take a small drift and knock out the pin. You can get the clamp from the dealer for about $15. Pretty cheap considering what the master cyl costs if it breaks. Hope this helps.

------------------
“ If we weren’t all crazy we would go insane” Jimmy Buffett
'99 KTM 380sx

Tal

Jul 20, 1999
If your entire assembly (not just the clip on the back) is broken, you can buy a new clutch master cylinder assembly for around $115. I bought mine through a non-ktm dealer. Send me an email at twisbell@aol.com for details.

Tal

Tal

Jul 20, 1999
I hate to reply to my reply, but if you only need the small clamp on the back of the unit, I have an extra that I will sell for $10.

Tal

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
The m/c and assembly appears to be fine. When the tie down came loose, the hook just broke the clamp off. Like I said, just need to get the pin out and put a new clamp on.

Tal: I would be interested in that clamp. Email me at cwp@summergrove.net.

One other problem I found last night. The rear of the subframe appears to be bent down about 3/8". It bent immediately beyond the seat bolt holes. It does not appear to have weakened the unit, just the rear fender bolts on a little lopsided. Should I try to straighten it, leave it alone, or buy a new one (ouch)!!!!

Top Bottom