Troubleshooting Help needed on 99 KTM 200MXC

DaveB

Jan 14, 2001
Hello All,

My 99 KTM 200MXC started making alot of noise in the countershaft area today. Putting the bike on the stand, I externally examined the problem and it seems if you spin the wheel backwards it will lock up every once in a while, if you roll it forward it immediately releases. The locking up is occuring inside of the case. The bike shifts normally through all gears riding up and down the street. There is a rattling noise intermittedly from inside the case. Has anyone ever encountered this problem, I thought it may be something simple, but before I tear the motor apart I would like to hear any opinion or suggestions out there. I am new to owning a KTM and was thinking this may be a common problem. It sounds like something is rattling around, It is definitely coming from the countershaft area, not the crank or head.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Dave

------------------

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I can't say what "might" be wrong and I don't think it's a "KTM" inherent problem. I would definantly tear in before starting it up again to prevent any further damage.

------------------
"Nature Boy"

Scoott

Jun 1, 2000
I recently had the countershaft bearing give up on a well-used and hopped up 98.Try grabbing the sprocket and wiggling it. If it moves , your countershaft bearing is going/gone. OR, the MXC's also can eat the teeth right off of 5th gear in high load situations. Drain the oil and check the magnetic plug and see what you get.

------------------

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
My main shaft bearing got overheated and siezed the motor. I didn't warm it up enough and just cooked it. A very expensive fix to say the leasr.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

Top Bottom