TT-R 230 Horsepower?

Discussion in 'Big Bikes' started by Munchie1615, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Munchie1615

Munchie1615 Rookie

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and Im hoping to get a TT-R230 here in the next month or so!!! MAN IM SO EXCITED!!! Im trying to find out how much horsepower this thing puts out, I've been searching places and I just can't find anything on it. Dude I love the feel of the bike, I went to my local store and just sat on it (i've never been able to have one untill hopefully now), I've finally got my mom to break down a little hehe. To introduce myself, my name is Mary (im a girl obviously) and I'm 19. This forum looks like a pretty good find.

Anyways, if anyone can help me on the horsepower question and any other good info about the bike it would be much appreciatied, I'm such a n00b! :)

-Mary :fft: :)

2. Vic

Vic ***** freak.

Hi Mary. I can't give you exact numbers, but 16-17 rear wheel horsepower is probably a pretty close guess.

3. biglou

biglou Guest

4. lithium

lithium Pro Class

Hi, sorry im not really answering the question here, but if your options are still open, there are alot of other off road bikes to consider for various reasons. Ive heard that the TT-r 230s front suspension basically just goes to hell after awhile. Also the bike is overweight for its power output and can even be beat by Yz85's. However, if you are a beginning rider i would say this is a really good bike because it is easy to handle and its quiet. It just depends on what you are using the bike for.

5. berudd

berudd Novice

I am guess he is close on the HP number. I would have guessed 1 or 2 more maybe that is based on little or no fact. Mary, what kind of riding to you want to do? Trails and off-road or do you want to ride on an MX track? Also, what is your general body size? That plays a part in what you want to ride. This sounds like your first bike so let me recommend something. Find a clean used bike and not a new one. Especially if you want the TTR. I bought a new TTR125 for my son when he was learning and in no time at all he as ready to move to something bigger. He was only 12 then and at 19 you may not physically outgrow it but as your ride more you may decicde that some other bike would better suit your needs. If you buy a new TTR and want to sell it later, you will not be happy with what you can get for it. I bet you can find a 03 or 04 TTR that has hardly been ridden for several hundred off the new price. If after a year you still feel it is the bike for you and you plan to continue to ride it for the next few years then maybe you can justify a brand new one.

Bad front suspension? Hmmmm, that is a little harsh I think. Probably a bit on the soft side and not as advanced as a modern MX bike but that does not make it bad. Just be careful hiting those 80; triples! LOL! Depending on how much you weigh, you may want to put stiffer springs in the fork. Not sure how you are with tools, but this is a pretty easy DIY affair. And about 80's beating this TTR? Hell, were I live 80's frequenty beat 450s!!! HA!

6. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Sponsoring Member
    Mi. Trail Riders

The TTR230 or the CRF230 will make a great bike for a new rider as long as you are tall enough and strong enough to feel comfortable on it. If not, try out the TTR125L.

Sixteen to eighteen horsepower sounds about right.

My fifteen year old son recently rode a CRF230 and proclaimed it to be a "fun bike". He normally rides a modified KDX200............or my YZ250F :ohmy:

Have a ball and take a safety course if you have the chance.

:cool:

7. Munchie1615

Munchie1615 Rookie

Hey guys, Thanks for the replies! Well I'm about 5'6" - 5'7" and I only weigh like 135. I'm mainly going to be doing just trail/offroad stuff but I plan to convert it later to Dual Sport. I'm gonna be taking a safety course this July I believe so then I can get my M class on my license for when I do the conversion. But when I sit on the 230 I feel pretty comfortable on it, it seems like it's the perfect bike for me. It feels really proportional and I'm able to touch the ground pretty good with both feet. I sat on the 125L today and it just seems like it will be too small and not have enough power for my needs. Yes this is my first dirt bike that I'll be riding and my mom is not too crazy about the size of it, just because she thinks it looks big and everything...What is it with moms, JEEZ!!! I already got some of my accessories coming on Monday hahaha, she doesn't know about it. But I plan to get it even if she doesnt like the idea of it. Once I show her that I'm capable and not stupid on it I think it will be better :) I'll keep ya posted~

-Mary

8. pyrofreak

pyrofreak Pro Champ

Yamaha revamped the TTR-230 for '05, so its more competitive with the CRF-230. Not trying to put you in the wrong here. The older ones though CAN be described bluntly as pigs, or dogs. Although they are both cute animals!! Just my $0.02. Great choice, and have fun. The YZ is a really fun bike for when you start to wring the TTRs neck.

9. honduki

honduki Member

Dont rule out the XR200 R.
    Very similar except kick start, and about 20 lbs lighter.
    Drum brake up front

10. kevinfries

kevinfries Member

My friend has a crf230, and that bike has plenty of power for him to finish 7th in his first harescramble race ever! He is faster on his crf230 than i am on my xr250. So the crf230 isnt underpowered, and it has the electric start. It sits fairly small so you should be fine. I am 5'4 and i ride the xr250 which is a few inches taller. I would consider the crf230 of the ttr 230, but if you like the feel of the ttr better, get the ttr.