b.kosty

Mar 12, 2010
Well im sure my clutch blew on my ttr, i put it in gear and it barley moves when you give it throttle. I took the side case off and as soon as i pulled it off there was a long skinny spring, probably about 6-8 inches. I think it was under the oil pump screen but cant remember, anyways i looked on every diagram and cannot find what this spring is for. I thought my clutch was gone but it may just be this spring? or it could also be a bad clutch and the spring maybe part of other problem? The bike was running fine right before but anyone have any clue what this spring is? I can post a pic if needed but 6-8 inches long skinny tight spring bent on one end

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Something sounds very odd. I cant imagine anyplace where that type of spring would be in the bike. Post a pic.

b.kosty

Mar 12, 2010
img269.imageshack.us/img269/4058/dsc0012o.jpg

img202.imageshack.us/img202/9269/dsc0013o.jpg

img695.imageshack.us/img695/6231/dsc0014hj.jpg

The one end is the one that was ripped? other end was perfect.
The pic with red line is where im sure i pulled it from, right below the screen. I have no clue where this is from!?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i bet that is a snake that enters in your engine via breather... i read on wikipedia when they got tired they just catch a ride. they are called grey metallic snakes.

seriously, i have no experience with that engine but i am pretty sure those springs don´t belong there. for some reason someone put them there. do you bought the bike new?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
dat dont belong in dare

b.kosty

Mar 12, 2010
Ive owned the bike the whole time,, Side cases have never been opened till now. I know i looked on every diagram and cannot figure it out.. Where would it of came from. It was under the screen, So you guys think this has nothing to do with why my clutch went hey?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Happen to have a leaking seal anyplace?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Patman said:
Happen to have a leaking seal anyplace?

I was thinking that, but it's too big.

I think he's yanking our chains. :nod:

b.kosty

Mar 12, 2010
Man!! Im not, hah it was there,,,The seals are mint, the bike is mint other then the clutch, Im gunna take the peice to Yamaha and ill see if any of them will know

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That "mint" flat black paint seems to be flaking off the factory blue.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Patman said:
That "mint" flat black paint seems to be flaking off the factory blue.
:rotfl: :laugh: :rotfl:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Let us know what the dealer says.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Hmm, I can't see the pics?

I've had the bottom end split on a ttr125 a few times and don't recall any long springs.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Copy & paste the link. It's pretty obviously one of two things that have been discussed, I bet you'll know right away.

b.kosty

Mar 12, 2010
So i finally brought the spring in and buddy said he has no clue where that is from on the bike. He said it looks like a spring band that's inside of a bearing to hold the rollers in, Which then he said it may not be my clutch but moreso my transmission. So we looked at diagrams for the tranny and there is no big enough bearing that would require this size of spring band. Anyone else with TTR have any clue where that would be from? I dont really want to have to split the case without knowing what to look for.. Any help? Me love u long time!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So if it's too big for any bearing or seal and it doesn't show up on any diagram, and the bike is running fine and the bike is not making any bad sounds and... well you get the idea. Then maybe, just maybe it managed to crawl in there (with some help from somebody at some point in time) and you were just really lucky and should not worry about splitting the cases until there is a real reason to do so.

b.kosty

Mar 12, 2010
well thats the thing, its not running fine, Right before this happened it was. I lifted my rear tire up while it was in gear then it just stopped moving, that's why i at first said "Cutch" but now after i went to Yamaha they said that there are no springs like that in clutch, only in tranny. Now he said he couldn't find a bearing for it, but people make mistakes,, Just wanna maybe find that 1 person who has had the same problem

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why not take that $20 and buy a factory service manual? You'll need it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You can lead a horse to water...

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Actually, the ttr comes with a very nice owners manual, very detailed and gives lots of pictures. It's all you need to split the cases. The bikes are really quite simple.

b.kosty

Mar 12, 2010
Yes i know, I need to get a manual if i do attempt to try this, but all i asked was for any help if anyone knew exactly where this is from in the bike. I dont have much experiance splitting cases and would rather like to know what im goin in to look for before i do and possibly wreck more,
That came off a really big seal, 2 1/2" or so? Does a ttr have an engine driven tach or speedometer? Vintage Bob
No speedo or tach on it just has electric start, there cant be very many 2 1/2" seals in there hey? Do you know where that size of seal would be located?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If somebody knew exactly where it came from they would have told you. If you can't clue in to that I'd suggest you might want to take the bike to a professional because it doesn't get any simpler as you start unbolting stuff. Do yourself a HUGE favor, either look at the manual Joe suggested since you owned it from new you should have it right? If you don't then buy the darned factory service manual and crack it open. There are sites with online exploded diagrams of parts, those might help you understand where the pieces are that might be the cause of the problem but the only way to fix it is to open it up and fix it. Sorry you won't know what the problem is until you actually have things apart.

Top Bottom