MFP

Jul 18, 2007
I have an 05' TTR 230. bought used with 10 hours on it and it sat in storage for bout a year. It ran great when i bought it. did all the normal stuff, clean it, change plug, gas, oil, clean air filter, etc......

recently it has started to run like crap. at first sputtering a little, some hesitation. It has now gotten to the point that it is un ridable.

It sputters and bogs during acceleration. In all gears. Idles and starts just fine. sometimes it backfires. I then roll off the throttle and it will slowly accelerate. thought it was a fuel starvation problem. Cleaned and checked the carb and air filter, no vacuum leaks, good gas, etc.

Took it to a local shop to let the pro's fix it. they drilled out a plug to access the fuel/air mixture screw. made a some adjustments and charged me 2 hours of labor. Bike runs good in 1 and 2 gear. but the hesitation and bogging still exsist in 3 and hire.

took it back to the shop and they adjusted it to run richer. sort fixed teh problem. but there is still minor bogging and hesitation during acceleration.

any suggests? is this a common problem.

It also pops out of second gear lots.

randall

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
I think you on the right track with adjusting the carb. sound like you need to mess with the main jet a bit more. carb jetting is a trial an error process and air temps and altitudes also play a role it getting it jetted corectly. Its super easy to jet a carb, i wouldn't spend any more money taking it to the "pros." look up "spanky's jetting guide" for help

also could be other things..like a leaky case, or reeds.

also you may have bent shift forks....i have to run sorry..i would type more to you...good luck

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
youve got a newer four-stroke so im guessing the valves, rings, and piston are stock and havnt been messed with, it would be hard to ruin those with only ten hours on a four-stroke. i would guess its either your fuel filter that is clogged or your spark plug wire has went bad for some strange reason. you could try getting some pipe cleaners and run them through all the holes and passages through the carb. maybe youve got some debris in your fuel line???

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
my guess is it is either your fuel filter thats clogged, your spark plug wire is melting, or some breather tube or passage in your carb is blocked and getting more blocked when you ride. any of these would start out bad and just get worse till it doesnt even run at all. try a fuel filter first of all then attack the passages and all the holes in your carb with some pipe cleaner. if both of those dont work try checking if youve got a good spark by by pulling the plug and touching it to something metal thats grounded(cylinder).

it would be extremely hard to make your valves go bad in the short time the bikes been alive; the rings would be noticably bad no matter the rpm, gear, or throttle position. also letting your bike sit over the year wouldnt mess with your piston, rings, or valves unless you were pouring water through it.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Did anybody actually drop the float bowl, remove the jets, and clean them during this whole ordeal? There is probably a nice big chunk of debris sitting in the main jet from the sounds of your description.

MFP

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

After hours of work and 4 trips to the local shop. It is fixed. It turned out not to be the carb at all. It was a little lean and it runs great now.

I am soooo retarded.......it turned out to be a loose battery cable. while riding over bumpy ground it vibrated and was shorting out. causing it to bogg, miss and hesatitae.

I tightened up the wire and instant fix. The shop did drill out the air mixture screw, and adjusted the carb to run better.

i feel like a dummy. I should checked it out better before wasting 165 at the local shop, who missed the problem 4 times. I found the wire after getting disgusted at the shop and myself.

thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mar 3, 2017
The bike I'm about to buy has similar issues Carb has been cleaned but it pops wile decel now I'm not moto savy yet but I do know it has to be plug, air filter,or possibly fuel filter bike model is 06 ttr 230 4 stroke been reading up on it and people have been saying it could be running Ritch. So let me know what you think.... also it has a hard time cold starting

Top Bottom