ttr125 Pumping oil out the spark plug hole?

Hilts

Oct 26, 2008
My 2002 ttr125 smokes like crazy. so i changed the rings put it all back togghether and it ran but still smoked? and now the day after it doesnt run and is pumping oil out through the spark plug hole? What happened? :yell:

Hilts

Oct 26, 2008
i installed the rings coreectly, the thick one on top then the middle sized one, then a thin one then the wierd looking one, then another thin one. are the faces of the rings different? cause then i dont know if i did them right. :ohmy:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The oil ring (funny looking one) needs to be properly butted up on the ends or there won't be enough pressure up against the cylinder walls to seal.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The second compression ring (the middle one) is really an oil scraper ring that is cut with an angle on the ring face. It pulls oil off the cylinder walls and pushes it down into the crankcase. If you put this ring in upside down it does the opposite, it will scrape oil off the walls and push it into the combustion chamber. These rings usually have a mark on the top so you know which end goes up. It's easy to miss if you don't look carefully.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
If you put this ring in upside down it does the opposite, it will scrape oil off the walls and push it into the combustion chamber. These rings usually have a mark on the top so you know which end goes up. It's easy to miss if you don't look carefully.

Oops! :whoa: If you look in your manual it will tell you this stuff. But, you were probably trying to save a few bucks on a manual and wound up costing yourself the price of a set of rings and gaskets. Oh yeah, and a manual.

If you already have a manual and didn't take the time to read it then, oh well. :coocoo:

But, at least you learned something. I hope.

Last edited:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
These rings usually have a mark on the top so you know which end goes up. It's easy to miss if you don't look carefully.

I put together an old Honda 70cc engine last month and had to use a strong light and magnifying glass to find the mark. And even then, I had a hard time. Twenty years ago, I probably could have found this mark in the dark. ...........sigh.........

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Good on ya for having a go, working on em is half the fun, strip make sure you assembled correctly. Make sure your piston to bore clearance is OK, check that your ring grooves aren't beaten up and since it was burning oil before at minimum you need to hone the bore but more likely it needs a rebore, if your not sure get it checked.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
The rings shouldn't have been damaged, the oil ring is a bit delicate, you,ll see if you damaged it but they won't work if the bore is damaged or worn excessively.

Hilts

Oct 26, 2008
the oil ring doesnt exactly "hook" toghether so i made them link sorta and sit the two small rings around the top and bottom of the oil ring. and flipped the middle ring over from the way i had it before. But i didnt see any lines or marks on it ?>

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
the oil ring doesnt exactly "hook" toghether so i made them link sorta
They aren't supposed to hook together, the ends need to be butted up to one another to work. :cool:

and flipped the middle ring over from the way i had it before. But i didnt see any lines or marks on it
Grab a bright light and a magnifying glass, there's a mark on there somwhere.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I would e-mail you the page out of the manual if you give me the adress. I can't get the format right after I resize it?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Here ya go....

Attachments

• TTR rings.jpg
    TTR rings.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 163

Top Bottom