johng723

Jul 19, 2006
Hey everyone, I'm having a problem getting my GF's '04 ttr125 to start. It's been sitting for quite some time so I changed out the gas, charged the battery, took the carb apart and cleaned it out, and for some reason it still won't start. It's had no problems in the past, except for a stuck float, which was fixed with taking the carb apart and cleaning out the float needle. Other than that it's always started up like a charm. I should mention that it's also an electric start. I took the spark plug out and cleaned it (it's fairly new), and still no sign of it wanting it start. :bang:

What should I try next?

johng723

Jul 19, 2006
Yeah I can definitely hear the sparking, I just changed it out to a new plug and still nothing. I also cleaned out the air filter...

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Also, is the choke working? The plunger in the carb has a tendency to get corroded and stick.

Did you drain the fuel in the float bowl? If I let mine sit for more than a couple weeks with fuel in the bowl it gets to be a bear to start.

johng723

Jul 19, 2006
As far as I know, the choke is working, although I'd have to look into that a little more if I can't get it starting soon. I'm not too familiar with the plunger in the carb, but I did blast the carb with a good amount of carb cleaner and pray :) . The spark plug isn't wet when I pull it either...

johng723

Jul 19, 2006
I don't know if it'll help, but on one of my many attempts, I did get the engine started for about 2 seconds where it idled, I got over excited and give it a slight amount of gas and it just died.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
How did you get the carb off to clean it without taking the choke plunger out? Did you see any junk in the pilot jet? I would bet the pilot jet is a bit restricted which makes an already lean bike impossible to start. From the factory they're so lean they barely start. I would remove the pilot jet and ensure it is spotless. Then if it still doesn't want to start try turning the fuel screw out a half turn.

johng723

Jul 19, 2006
Opps, yeah the choke plunger was cleaned as well. I went ahead and removed the pilot jet, cleaned it, though it looked clean already, and tried it again. Still nada. Thanks for all the replies though!

Top Bottom