Oct 17, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size - 5' 11" 175 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Fairly Agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- some MX mostly feild
4)do you have any riding experience? Yes had 2 motocross bikes
5) Do you think you will race ? possible
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Very
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? leaning towards 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All except KTM
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? As much as it costs
10) Do you live in California? No
11) Your age? 24
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I've had motocross bikes before (cr 80 ,CR 125) and a street bike (CBR 600 F4i) and i'm trying to find out whether i should be looking at a 250f or 450f

rbt76

Aug 11, 2007
It really depends on how much you plan on racing and riding MX vs. trail riding. If you are riding a muddy/sandy MX tracks or tight trails, a 450 can be a lot of bike to throw around.

I would lean towards a CRF oy YZF 250 if you are not going to be spending more than 80% of your ride time racing or riding MX.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Depends. Both bikes will work for you. Do you want to have gobs and gobs of power (good for playriding as well as mx) or are you content screaming a small bike for all it's worth?

Mar 20, 2007
I say get a 450 you'll ride a 250 for a season and say the bikes not powerful enough, its slow and so on and might as well just get a 450 and save yourself the trouble.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Polish_Mikeski said:
I say get a 450 you'll ride a 250 for a season and say the bikes not powerful enough, its slow and so on and might as well just get a 450 and save yourself the trouble.

Tell that to RV who beat everyone at the MXDN on a 250f.

It is all about the rider.

I race the Vet classes and much prefer the YZ250F over the CRF450 I had. I do miss the power on MX tracks with long straight aways but the 250F doesn't tire me out as much and is better in more areas... I race a lot of Harescrambles and the 250F is awesome in the woods.

However, if I did a lot of trail riding in West Virginia (Hatfield McCoy type stuff) I'd probably want a 450 for the big hills they have.

When it gets down to it the size of the bike in the race doesn't matter half as much as the size of the heart in the racer!

Ivan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom