CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
I need guidance...

I'm going to Skanee to officiate at a wedding (yeah, I know, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it) and will take the KTM with me.

I'll be looking to check out Dual-sport type trails near L'Anse Baraga and Huron Bay...

Thanx,

Mike Sr.

sngltrk

Apr 23, 2002
A friend and I where in that area about a month ago, we logged 451 miles of trails, two-tracks, gravel roads, snowmobile trails, ect. Notice I never said pavement, except for the occasional road crossing and going into Big Bay or L'anse for fuel, ice and food. It is truly almost limitless. There is always more and more to be explored. We used a GPS with mapping software loaded into it for our major source of navigation. It was absolutely amazing how well GPS's work. This was my first outing with one, and I am still in awe. We also had pretty good county maps and a snowmobile trail map. With the maps and a compass you can get around pretty well, this is the way we used to do it. I would suggest getting some maps and exploring to you're hearts content. As a bonus to riding, you will find tons cool little fishing spots.

Some highlights in the area: Mt. Arvon (highest pt. in MI), Big Eric’s Bridge (over Huron River), Mt. Curwood, Canyon Falls (not by ORV, by still very cool), Huron Mt. Club (Something like a 20,000 acre vacation spot owned by the Ford, Firestone, and Miller families for over a hundred years now, really neat to get close to, but still very private and very guarded), Many many waterfalls, and lots of logging.

Have fun and try not to get lost.

Scott

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
The Big Bay/Skanee area is my two-track stomping grounds. I'm sure you will be pleased. Stop in at the Huron Bay Trading Post near Skanee and get DNR maps of Baraga and North Marquette counties. The Slate River area is cool, as is the old Arvon Slate Quarry. There's also a dirt road that parallels the west side of the Huron River out to Lake Superior. If you don't mind a little pavement, the trip around the Abbaye peninsula is scenic. Just about any of the named roads on the DNR maps along the Huron River and into the Peshekee River area are decent rides. There are a couple of routes to Big Bay but the Northwestern Rd. is my favorite.

*There's no place to get gas between Skanee and Big Bay. Going south, you'll have to go all the way to the M-28 area to find fuel.
*Bring bug dope. We've had quite a bit of rain and the bugs are mean this year.
*Also because of the rain, watch for washouts and washed-out culverts.
*It's not a good idea to enter Huron Mountain Club land. (It is well marked.) If their security people catch you, they will probably swear out a trespassing complaint. Unlikely I admit-- we're too fast for them, right?-- but who wants to ride while looking over their shoulder for a security cop? There's plenty of places to ride without trespassing on private land and getting more folks riled up against dirt bikers.
*Avoid the Silver Lake area and the Dead River basin out to Lake Superior. A dam washed out on the Dead River a few weeks ago and the area is generally a mess with washed out roads and bridges. This is quite a way to the south and east from Skanee and should present no problem.

I hope you have a great safe ride and if you see a guy on an XR400, it's probably me.

Mike

Top Bottom