UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
Hi i went and looked at a 1997 250 exc today, and have a few questions. Well let me see where do i start, i guess my first question would be are there any known problems on this year and model to look for? My next question is does this year of ktm have a reputation as being a reliable and durable bike? On the bike i looked at it was fairly stock , with a new set of chains and sprockets, the owner said he had just put a new Wiseco piston in it are these good or bad? Really the only thing i could see wrong with the bike is the pet**** leaked when i was riding it , is this problem an easy fix?

I know i will get some messages about buying a PDS KTM
but i dont really think i need one and i can pick this bike up
for about $1800.

Thanks Greg:)

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
KTM pds instead of 97?

Hey, a close friend of mine would sell his 98 250sx for $2400.00 firm and it is a clean well maintained bike.
He set it up for woods.
If you are interested I will e-mail you a picture of it.
He bought a new 01 400sx last month.
He bought the 98 new and I would say it is worth more than he is wanting and it is a good buy.
performance@csinet.net
northern Indiana

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
Spole, rollingp thanks for the replys, i have a few other questions regarding the 97. It doesnt have a odometer on it, how much are they and how hard are they to put on? Will a KTM this old hold up for a few more years with just trailriding or will i need to replace any high dollar items ?

Thanks Greg:)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
A used bike can have anything go worng

but if the owner kept service records that might give you an idea of what has been replaced and what may go while you have it. Ask him about that.Things like fork and shock servicing need to be done yearly. Bearings get old and may need replacment. Is the top end very new? Did he mention how many hours are on that weisco? Brakes shoes are a yearly item, how's the chain and sprockets? How new are they? Wheel bearings? I am keeping an excel spread sheet on my bike so I can demonstrate to the new buyer what and when I did things to my bike to ease their minds and show that I did take good care of it. Maybe he had some invoices?

john loggins

Sep 5, 2001
nice deal

I would pay $ 1800. for a 1997 KTM all day long. I paid more than that for my 94 exc 250, and don't regret it. It is by far the best bike I have ever ridden.

Top Bottom