Using a Multimeter to check spark

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
I was reading Eric Gorr's jetting info, and in the mechanical problem area he says to check if your getting a good spark with a multimeter. I do have a digital multimeter but what and where should i place the testers (wires) and what setting should i have the multimeter set at, theres a bunch of settings.

this is what i have.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Multimeter.jpg

Thanks!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
A multimeter won't test for good spark. I strongly recommend against having the multimeter even touch the spark plug wire!

The easist way to check for spark is to remove the sparkplug, attach the spark plug wire, hold the threads of the plug up against the motor case and kick the bike over. You should clearly see a nice strong spark jump the plug.

If you are not getting spark, the multimeter can be used to establish why not by measuring the coil resistance and comparing to the manufactureres specification.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i think if you hook up multi meter to plug and kick it it would blow the internal fuse or fry the meter spark voltage is way higher than what meter is rated for

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
okay...io just re-read the info:

Weak sparkÑWhen the ignition coils deteriorate, the engine performance will become erratic. Normally, the engine will develop a high-rpm misfire problem. Check the condition of the coils with a multimeter.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Your profile says you have a YZ250, CBRF4i, and Kaw 1125.

Which bike are we talking about?

If you have a known good coil then it is easy to make a comparison measurement on your suspect coil. Without a known good coil to compare against you will need to know what the expected resistance is. There is also a problem that an inexpensive multi-meter (if you paid less than $200 it is an inexpensive model) their accuracy on very low ohms is rather poor. Not a problem if you can measure a good one then the suspect one, but can be a problem trying to compare suspect to the written specifications.

If you have the technical specifcations or a shop manual for your bike it should give you the expected ohms. Two of them, in fact: primary and secondary. The primary will typically be a very low number and measured across the two main contacts of the coil. The secondary will be a much higher number and is measured from the spark plug wire to one of the main contacts.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
talking about the yz250. not sure if its a weak spark or not. I haven't looked, but i don't rember it being extremely bright. i'll check it tommorw. and i don't have a known good one, they're expensive.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
no there not to expensive
go to electric supply house
get fluke model or greenlee or ideal
good one there run you about 100$ or less
just get digital one

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
no i meant a good coil...but i did find in my manul about what rmc_olderthandirt said, should i test the wires while the bike is running or should i just kick the bike over while the wires are in palce?

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
There is also a problem that an inexpensive multi-meter (if you paid less than $200 it is an inexpensive model) their accuracy on very low ohms is rather poor.
its not the price its the make
greenlee, fluke,amprobe and ideal all make good inexpensive meters as well as some high priced stuff
use them alot at work

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Badgadjit1 said:
. . . should i test the wires while the bike is running or should i just kick the bike over while the wires are in palce?
neither. you disconnect the coil and test the resistance measured against a known value for a good coil

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Nope, no electricity needed. Well, no external electricity needed. The meter will provide the electricity you need.

For a given long length of wire made of a certain metal at a certain thickness there will be a known resistance. Take that same wire and wind it up with a coating that keeps the wires from actually touching. For the coil you take a resistance reading. You know what it should be. If the meter shows a much lower number you have probably melted some of the wire insulator inside the coil and the spark that is being produced is weaker than it should be. If you read infinite resistance, that means there is a break in the wire somewhere and there is no longer a continuous conductor for the electricity to pass through.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
The primary will typically be a very low number and measured across the two main contacts of the coil. The secondary will be a much higher number and is measured from the spark plug wire to one of the main contacts.

the main contacts are the two tabs that stick out of the ends right? where its bolted on?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
sparkysakitas said:
its not the price its the make
greenlee, fluke,amprobe and ideal all make good inexpensive meters as well as some high priced stuff
use them alot at work

Yeah, I have an inexpensive Fluke meter......

If I want a good meter I will go and buy a good model of Fluke. They make real nice multi-meters.

What they were thinking when they made this cheap one is beyond my comprehension. It is the biggest piece of !@#$ I have ever used. I suppose that's why they were giving them away........

The bottom line is that it is really difficult to accurately measure something less than 10 ohms. The resistance of the meter leads starts to be a factor. Oddly enough, the old needle movement meters were actually better (when talking cheap meters) because they always had a "zero" knob that the electronic meters lack unless you get into the expensive models.

Todesengel

Mar 19, 2006
sparkysakitas said:
i think if you hook up multi meter to plug and kick it it would blow the internal fuse or fry the meter spark voltage is way higher than what meter is rated for

LOL! I'm curious to know how many of you have actually felt the "kick" of the coilwire? My bike stuck wide open one time, and I panicked and pulled the spark plug wire off bare handed! And that magneto was spinnnin!! Man I don't even want to do that again! :yikes: :yikes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom