utahrider

Feb 9, 2005
Hello,

I was wondering how many of you take regular rides after work during the spring and summer when the daylight hours are longer? If so, where do you go that is close by?

I'm fairly new to riding and I've been doing research about different areas close by and I'm really excited about getting out this spring. I live in Park City and have a local area that is fun called Richardson Flats that has some motocross oriented trails, several nice long mountain riding trails and then an area with small and big jumps. I also have the Uintas nearby but have yet to get out there to ride. I've read about 5 mile pass, little sahara, Moab (i've ridden my MTB there) and some other areas but was curious to hear your ideas on where you like to ride, what type of riding it is and why you like it.

Thanks,

Chris

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
First of all, welcome to the sport. It is a glorious thing to be a part of :)

I have been to that riding area in Park City. I even has a bit of a wreck on the jump that goes over the road :P

As far as afternoon evening rides, it depends where you work. If you work in Park City you might consider heading over to the Heber area. I have found that in Utah, you have to plan to drive at least a half hour or so to something really interesting. You can find the little spots like the one there in Park City but, the bigger areas are out away from civilization.

Are you wanting trail rides, desert, single track?

mx

utahrider

Feb 9, 2005
Thanks MX.
I live and work in Park City and could bring my bike in with me. I have one of those racks that fit on the back of my 4runner that fits in the trailer hitch. It works really well with one bike but kinda sags with two big bikes, ha ha.

I love single track and dirt roads but really don't have any experience or knowledge riding in the desert. I spent some time riding a dirt track last summer on a borrowed RM125 and and a YZF426 and loved the 125 but the 426 was too much for me. I have a 250 four stroke now that I picked up cheap. I want to try a lot of different bikes before I lay down the big bucks for a newer one.

Any recommendations for the Heber area trail riding wise? Have you ridden up in Wasatch State Park?

Thanks again,

Chris

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
I have not had the opportunity to ride up in the Wasatch Sate Park. I have ridden the trails just south of there out by Daniel's summit and strawberry and they are a lot of fun. I live in Utah valley and a fun day ride is to go from Hobble creek canyon over to Daniel's summit lodge for lunch and then head back on another trail.

As soon as the snow clears, I would be happy to meet up with you at Wasatch. I am always game for a new trail area - new to me anyway.

mx

racer 187x

Feb 23, 2004
Strawberry

Hi, welcome to off roading! I live up here in Park City too. If you like single track, there is nothing better than Strawberry, it is past Heber going southeast. My dad, brother and I ride out there every summer. Miles and miles of single track trails in the middle of the forest, on ridges, in valleys everything. It is just awesome!
For desert riding we usually travel out to Delle or the Knolls east of Tooele. Or we will go down to 5-mile pass, there is some great riding there too.
Good luck finding somewhere to ride in the winter though. This weekend we are going down south to St. George and Las Vegas.

utahrider

Feb 9, 2005
Thanks for the great info and recommendations guys. I look forward to checking out these areas. MX I'll post something when the snow clears and we should go explore some trails. I've been up in the Daniels Summit area with my Mountain Bike and love the area.
It needs to stop snowing! :)

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Yes, the snow is a double-edged sword :P The good news is that the creek crossings should be beautful :)

I love the Strawberry/Daniels Summit area so I will be happy to meet you up there. I would like to check out Wasatch as well. Let's organize a ride for the beginning of March. I can't wait to try out my new-to-me CRF.

mx

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Riding areas

Refer to "anyone riding?? Where? on 2-09-05. Several posts down, has some good info. As someone who rides 5 Mile several days a week all summer I think it's great. Although some people will complain about the dust and some jagged rocks, overall it's really sweet.
Where exactly is that area you mentioned in Park City? Sometimes if I'm pressed for time after work I'll go up Guardsmans pass thru Big Cottonwood over to Park City. But have never really seen anything other than a few singletrack mountain bike trails. I'd appreciate a heads up, I'm always looking for new/closer areas to roost.

utahrider

Feb 9, 2005
Richardson Flats

Hi Moabdaze,

The area called Richardson Flats is located off of Kearns Blvd in Park City. I've attached two image maps that show the location of the riding area. As of today 03/18/05 it is still covered in snow and mud but should dry up in the next couple of weeks if it stops snowing......
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are coming from Interstate 80 and head south on Hwy 40 you will get off at the Park City exit. At the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp you will take a right(UT248) and go about a half mile and take your first left, this is marked on the images as Landfill Road but there is currently no street sign. You will cross over the rail trail and you will be heading east and go under Hwy 40 and after a few hundred feet you'll see an open dirt parking area that is usually rutted up. Right next to it are several short trails. If you continue south for a few hundred feet from the parking area is where the jumps usually are and additional trails.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are heading North on Hwy 40 from Heber City just take the Park City exit and then a left at the stop sign at the end of the ramp. This is Kearns Blvd(UT248), go under Hwy 40 and go a half mile and take your first left, this is marked on the images as Landfill Road but there is currently no street sign. You will cross over the rail trail and you will be heading east and go under Hwy 40 and after a few hundred feet you'll see an open dirt parking area that is usually rutted up. Right next to it are several short trails. If you continue south for a few hundred feet from the parking area is where the jumps usually are and additional trails.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are coming from Park City proper or Guardsman Pass then just head towards Kearns Blvd (UT248) and take a right heading out of Park City, east towards Hwy 40. You'll need to take a right on the unmarked Landfill Road You will cross over the rail trail and you will be heading east and go under Hwy 40 and after a few hundred feet you'll see an open dirt parking area that is usually rutted up. Right next to it are several short trails. If you continue south for a few hundred feet from the parking area is where the jumps usually are and additional trails.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the attached images. One is a closeup map and the other is a larger version. You can also go to mapquest and enter Park City and see these locations.

I'll let folks know when it is looking drier. You would not want to come up any time soon. :aj:

Regards,
Utahrider

Attachments

• bigmap.jpg
    bigmap.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 271
  • richardson2.jpg
    richardson2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 261

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Hi Utahrider,

Thanks for the maps and the detailed directions, I will definetly be checking that out when the snow clears. I've been looking for somewhere close for those hot summer evenings when it's nice to get up to the upper altitudes and cooler temps. Let me know when the snow clears, maybe I'll see you up there. If you ever need any info on Five Mile let me know, I practically live out there and know it like the back of my hand. Thanks again, and keep on Roostin!!!!!

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
We go out to 5-mile after work a couple times a month too. We went out a couple weeks ago and wow was it nice - perfect temps and tacky dirt instead of the sand that I'm so used to all summer. But even then it's fun. And I like the pointy rocks. ;) (maybe I'm weird...)

Though if you're driving from PC - it's probably not much farther to go to Delle than 5-mile. Either one is good.

We've been meaning to check out the stuff up in PC/Heber so thanks for the directions!

utahrider

Feb 9, 2005
5 Mile

Hey Altagirl,

Just might see you out there one weekend then. I'll be sure to bring an extra tire tube or two so that I can enjoy the pointy rocks too. ha ha.

Does anyone have any idea what the conditions might be like for this coming weekend? 03/26 - 03/27?
It has been snowing non stop up here in PC for a week and I need some ride time bad.... Just wondering if it was too muddy there or not.

Thanks,
Utahrider.

Top Bottom