steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Well I finally got my hands on one to test on the YZ144. It's changed alot and I feel for the better.. First off the intake mainfold to reed cage match is much better than the VF-2. Internally it has a new insert that flows well with no steps like the previous VF-2. The reeds are all new with a higher tension that is no longer adjustable. No screws in the VF-3, it all snaps apart for a quick and easy reed change. Internally (flow and match) the VF-3 is way ahead of the VF-2, a very needed change IMO.

Right now on the YZ144 I have been using a Boyesen Rad valve, with my own creation :clue: for reeds. It has been working real well, so this wil be an interesting shoot-out between these 2 reed systems.

So I hope to follow this up with a Dyno and track test in the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Steve do you feel they dropped the idea of low tension as it was causing poor reed life? i know my 02 cr125 was faster on low tension, but a new set of reed were chipped after only 8 rides:(

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Marcus its hard to say. It's bound to help reed life thats for sure. One thing thats interesting is the inner reeds while the same as the outer. Have a bit less preload on them. It makes sense really. The V force system lacks good inner reed angles, the reeds go pretty much straight vs the outer reeds have a much steeper angle. Hence the need for less preload.

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i looked and they are still offering the same part that fits the RM125 and the YZ125- the bolt holes are the same, but the inlet hole is 3mm different in height, so i imagine there will be a gap when fitted up.

i was talking to RPM this weekend- he told me he swears by the v-force, he felt it made a difference on the track that you dont always see on the dyno.

i told him they just make me swear, LOL- never again.

steve- you should get marcus to send you that hacked up rm mainfold- it will straighten the intake on your yz, if the carb fits behind the shock OK. or just wait till that new 05 that we know you are going to buy ASAP! :)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bruce you must still be looking at a VF-2, yes it fits the RM as well as the YZ 125 and the manifold match up is not the best.

But the VF-3 is much more model specific. The RM 125 and YZ 125 valves are different and have different part numbers.

darwin88

Feb 23, 2003
I just put on the v force 3 on a 99 yz 125 and man it was an awesome change! I had stock reeds. It took a little doing to make it fit, including filing the case a bit but in a limited run it was a huge improvement. Hope to do some hill climbing tomorrow and test it some more. :ride:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
elf said:
steve125 So I hope to follow this up with a Dyno and track test in the next few weeks said:
So Steve, Whats the word?

The word is, they should have made it this way to begin with. :|

For the first time on the dyno it was an improvement. Mostly on over rev, it was quite a bit better. A tiny gain around 10k but it mimicked the stock curve otherwise. The V-2 was all loss on the dyno, bottom mid and top and over rev. The V-3 is good on the dyno and the track.

Just last weekend I tested one on a new 05 RM 250, and it was very impressive with the added over rev, but no loss or gain on the bottom. Once again, when I tested the V-2 on the RM, it was all about loss, especially on the bottom.

The new V-3's have addressed all my complaints I had with the V-2's, it's an all new design and its designed right, this time around. :cool:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
bclapham said:
you are going to do some RM250 dyno runs, arent you steve? :)

Nope with this bike I'm not searching for any more power. :yikes: Just gona work on the delivery a bit. ;)

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Sorry I had to dig this one up, I thought maybe you forgot about it. Thanks for the info sounds like they made a better reed block this time.
Does the v-3 have high and low tension like the v-2 or just one position?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
elf said:
Does the v-3 have high and low tension like the v-2 or just one position?

Nope, it only has 1 reed tension. That was another thing on the V-2 I didn't like, was the reed tension option. You could only change the outside pedal tension, and this would really put stress(failure) on those reeds, if the low setting was used.

The new V-3 is just an awesome product, in design and performance. :cool:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
heres steves dyno for the vf3

You can see it actually doesnt make more power, it widens the power slightly-this is a good thing and it has no losses unlike previous versions.

Attachments

• Picture 033 (Custom).jpg
    Picture 033 (Custom).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 183

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Thanks Marcus :cool: The above dyno is a 03YZ144 done by Eric, Pete and myself. The numbers are not too bad considering it was close to 90 degrees when we dynoed. Thats a loss of 1-2 hp easy over a 60 degree day.

Like Marcus has already said, anything that will give or spread out the top power, without taking away bottom is very welcomed. Unlike the old V-2, the new V-3 delivers :cool:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
That's a very smooth powerband for a 125 class bike. I'll bet that it is great to ride.

Top Bottom