Aug 27, 2016
Just finish rebuilting my engine and was just wonder if it possible to do valve adjustment when the valve assembly is off the engine and just place ur camshaft where it suppose to be when at TDC then just torque them to specs and measure then adjust?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Do you mean the cylinder head is off the engine?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Yes you can do your adjustments with the cylinder head on the bench. Make sure you clean everything spotless, and then assemble it with the final parts.Once the valves are assembled make sure and take a small non-marring hammer (brass, copper or poly) and tap the tops of the spring retainers a few times to make sure the springs are settled and the valves are fully seated. Assemble the cams as you would on the engine and make sure the cam caps are torqued to the proper spec. If you work carefully you should be able to get the valve adjustment spot on sitting on the bench. Once you assemble the head on the engine and lube everything , turn the engine over a few times by hand to double check your cam timing is correct. At this point check the valve clearance one last time. It should be the same as the bench setting if you worked carefully.

I've built hundreds of cylinder heads that I have shimmed on the bench and sent to customers so they can just drop them on their engines. This is a time honored method.

Good luck.

Top Bottom